free website stats program light problem | Harley Davidson Forums

light problem

allguitar

Hi All,
I'm pretty inexperienced with repairing electrical issues. I was wondering if anyone could please give me some tips on this one.

I have a 2001 XL1200S. Recently the right blinker flutters on and off, when the blinker is not activated. So the front right yellow light gets brighter off and on, and at the exact same time, the rear blinker goes on as well. Also, at the same exact time, the right turn signal indicator flickers. Often it won't do this until I rev the engine to about 2000rpm - so in a sense, it's intermittent.

Although I don't know too much about electrical repairs, I'm sure it's safe to say that the bulbs are all fine. I'm guessing that there is some kind of short or cross somewhere. I looked at the manual's electrical diagram and it appears that it's a brown wire that applies to the turn signal lamps. But I don't really know how to start going about the troubleshooting.

Thanks!

Intermittent electrical problems are the hardest to pinpoint.Before you drive yourself crazy try changing the front bulb.The vibration over time can stretch the filaments without blowing the bulb and the running light can come into contact with the signal causing the blinking that you describe. Try this and if it doesnt work you will have to check the pigtail then work your way back.

Who knows, you may also want to try removing all the bulbs and cleaning the sockets with a new Green Scotch Brite pad. Cut a length off the pad and chuck it in an electric hand drill. Shove the other end in the light socket and give it a buzz. Clean the prongs on the bulbs also. Then give it a shot of CRC 2-26

You may get lucky.

I'd inspect the wiring between the right handgrip and the TSM. It sounds very much like the button is essentially being pressed for you.

Try a little dielectric grease on the contacts of the new bulb makes a water resistant contact I use it on all electrical connections on my bikes and my wifes car

Keep things simple, is there a condition, i.e. hot or cold or mechanical (tap with the handle of screwdriver), the handlebar area and if you have the seat off, the fuse area (likely corrosion there) and wiring harness areas for chafing. Once you find the area, go to the cleaning and protective troubleshooting phase and you will be good to go. The key here is, with an intermittant problem, disturb as few things as possible until you have zero'd in on the cause....likely corrosion/bad connection, errant socket, or chafed wire insulation.

Good point . My dad a retired mechanic always said start at the source and work backwards and with electrical problems always check your grounds with out a good and clean constant ground u will have problems , Jack

Am I the only one reading where he said the problem is the turn signal activates all on its own? This doesn't sound like a ground or bulb connection to me. Check the wires between the turn signal switch and the module they connect to. Somehow it's as if he's pressing the button when he's not. It's either the switch itself or its wiring creating the circuit and initiating the signals. This is the first kind of thing to check when stuff that normally requires deliberate rider action suddenly doesn't.

Just be very careful sticking probes into wiring connector sockets. It's extremely easy to alter the shape of the female connector bits inside and this can bring on troubles all their own. The connectors come apart and the metal can be bent back into shape, but it's best to avert that necessity.

oops it does sound like a dead short in the wiring check between the switch and the light carefully with a test light

The possibility of a swinging filament in one of the bulbs is a very good possibility as mentioned above. If a swinging filament contacts the other filament in the bulb the power will be transferred into the other circuit and light the rear light as mentioned above by the OP. Also a short in the wiring between these circuits is a possibility also.

The biggest problem comes from over thinking the situation.

Back