free website stats program light dims | Harley Davidson Forums

light dims

Welcome Perrysr to the HDTimeline forum. I have to say your symptom caught me by surprise...I would have expected your headlight to get brighter when giving gas. I suspect that you have a bad connection as an increase in RPMs would only spin up the stator/charging system to produce more power (if it does not drop before increasing) UNLESS there is a bad ground, battery connections, interconnect plugs, or fuses in the block. I would get a good contact cleaner from an electronics store retailer like Radio Shack, scrape and wash all connections, and coat with dielectric grease. I would check where any mods were done under the seat, side covers and handlebar control areas. Could be a pinched wire...or even a loose connection or ground in the headlight shell if that is the ONLY symptom of a problem. Engine RPM should be high enough at idle and battery charge great enough not to dim at all.

Basically, what NEWHARLEY said, if you have had a particular section apart, or added something, then I would most definately start in that location. Normally, (for whatever that means) in my experience, it is related to a loose connection allowing the voltage to be detected, but not allowing the current to transfer and creating heat at that connection point. Good luck, sometimes they can be a bear to find.

Cliff Buzz:small3d023:

Welcome Perrysr to the HDTimeline forum. I have to say your symptom caught me by surprise...I would have expected your headlight to get brighter when giving gas. I suspect that you have a bad connection as an increase in RPMs would only spin up the stator/charging system to produce more power (if it does not drop before increasing) UNLESS there is a bad ground, battery connections, interconnect plugs, or fuses in the block. I would get a good contact cleaner from an electronics store retailer like Radio Shack, scrape and wash all connections, and coat with dielectric grease. I would check where any mods were done under the seat, side covers and handlebar control areas. Could be a pinched wire...or even a loose connection or ground in the headlight shell if that is the ONLY symptom of a problem. Engine RPM should be high enough at idle and battery charge great enough not to dim at all.

Very sound advice here from NEWHD, i would try also dis connect head light and use volt meter in light leads to test for volage out put to head light socket should be above battery voltage at idle:)

Back