free website stats program Light Banging Noise In Tranny | Harley Davidson Forums

Light Banging Noise In Tranny

propflux01

I have a question about Harley Trannies: I have 4 bikes between wife and myself. A Sporty, Road King, and 2 Ultras. Sporty is fine, Road king is fine, the '03 ultra is Fine, but the '06 seems to make sort of a banging noise in the tranny when its between accelerating and deceleration. Its like the gears are banging back and forth from excessive (?) play during that sweet spot of no torque on either side. Thing is, none of the other bikes do this. The only difference between all these is the Road king and the '03 Ultra have gear drive cams in them (by previous owners). I tried to adjust the primary thinking it was excessive play from that, but even adjusted tight it still does it. Now this weekend I was at the BBB rally in Fayetteville and got to try a 2014 CVO ultra with the water cooled heads. it did the same thing as the '06 does albeit not as loud.

So, that being said, is this just something normal? If so, why does the other two bikes not do this?

Also, same fluids in all trannies (Except the sporty).

I am going to say that maybe its the compensator. Can you tell which side the noise is coming from? How many miles on the 06?

I believe your 03 and 06 have the same drive train. Both have 5 speed trans. and the old style compensator setup. Bodeen is probably right on the money here.

Actually just sounds below me, not really on any side. It also corresponds with the whine of the gears as well, if that makes sense. Almost acts like there is excessive play between the gears, hence why at first I thought it was excessive looseness in the primary chain. I put heavy shockproof in it and that quieted it down a bit, but what made me wonder if it was "normal" was the same noise in the 2014 ultra I test rode. The '06 has 18456 miles on it.
WAP.gif

Having had a compesator nut come loose over a period of about 20,000 miles and having had a dealer tell me it was a loose primary chain. i would ask does your engine shake more than most at an idle. If the answer is yes I wouldn't wait any longer to pull the primary cover and check your compesator nut.

Your description still has me believing compensator but your mileage doesn't really add up. The earlier compensator's weren't as much a problem as the later. Might be worth opening up for an inspection.

The Engine does not shake excessive or anything, it is completely stock except for true duals. I guess it's time to take a look at the compensator and go from there.
WAP.gif

Actually just sounds below me, not really on any side. It also corresponds with the whine of the gears as well, if that makes sense. Almost acts like there is excessive play between the gears, hence why at first I thought it was excessive looseness in the primary chain. I put heavy shockproof in it and that quieted it down a bit, but what made me wonder if it was "normal" was the same noise in the 2014 ultra I test rode. The '06 has 18456 miles on it.
WAP.gif

What is heavy shockproof? Im running formula+ in mine. Are you having clutch issues?

I'm pretty sure he is talking about Redline with Shockproof. The original question about tranny. Therefore the Shockproof.

Back