free website stats program Lifters | Harley Davidson Forums

Lifters

PeteRock

I'm looking to swap out my lifters. I'm looking for some advice on which brand to get. Not sure it matters but I will be changing the cam and pushrods at same time.
thanks,
Pete

Been there, done that.

I've read thru many threads and have searched "lifters" & Evo lifters. Some good info in there but all I kept reading was when one should change them, which way to have oil holes facing upon installation, if one could change lifters only without cam, etc etc. My scoot is a 1994 I bought used with 60K on the ticker. I have No service history for the bike. I've read that it's a good idea to change lifters around 30k. Especially on older Evo's. I have no idea if they were ever done. I could be running Pre "B" type HD lifters (makes me cringe just thinking about it). I have never even seen a HD lifter. Does it look like one of those components your wondering to yourself (wow this thing looks a lil flimsy or cheap). Are the new HD ones good now? I'm looking for some input on what brand of lifter people are using. The Jims look pretty beefy, Crane's seems to have a more recessed roller (is that good or bad?) I'm just looking for a little consensus.

I plan on adding a EV27 or EV46 with adjustable pushrods and cam bearing while I have it apart.

thanks, Pete

The front exhaust (most common one to fail) lifter on my '92 Evo beat it's bearings out around 30K miles. I replaced with Jims Powerglide, as that was supposed to be the best at that time (not many HD forums online then). I don't think Jims still makes the Powerglide line. My HD service manual says the direction the oil holes face doesn't matter.

I put Fueling lifters in my EVO and have had no problems with them. I have aproximately 5K miles on them. Cost a little less than Jims but I couldn't see a difference.

Most after market lifters are very over priced. Just get the late EVO lifters from Harley. A set of them are about $19. It doesn't matter which wat the lifter oil holes are positioned on an EVO. rich

Most after market lifters are very over priced. Just get the late EVO lifters from Harley. A set of them are about $19. It doesn't matter which wat the lifter oil holes are positioned on an EVO. rich

$19 ?? Where? Bike Bandit has OEM for $49.75

regular B HD lifters are pretty hard to beat

I agree. I just put Harley lifters in my twin cam. There're working just fine. The one's that I took out had over 40,000 miles on them. I also installed adjustable push rods for a total of $158 bucks. The only part that I didn't particularly care for was that the Harley lifters were made in China.

I just put a set of the new 99C TW lifters in and they're way to loud. I've talked to a few techs that have used them and the local Harley shop and they say the same thing. Harley is saying the noise is allowable but I don't agree, never had this much clatter with the 99Bs. Not sure but I'm probably going to replace them and eat the cost of the Harley's. I put a set of the new 99Cs on stock and very well may turn them back in.

Back