free website stats program lifters | Harley Davidson Forums

lifters

hargun2

Any ideas,,, I got new lifters and adjustable push rods that I'm putting in and I have a issue with the intake lifter on the rear cylinder is not bleeding off after the 10 minutes. I l let it sit all night and it's still tight, the other 3 liters bleed down as per the manual. Nice day would like to ride today.

I would double check that the lifter you are having a problem with is at the lowest point on the cam lobe and readjust it.

Check that piston is at top dead center (or close) ? If you remove the plugs put your finger over spark plug hole tightly. WHen you feel compression lifting it off then that cylinder should be on the compressions stroke. You can eyeball it through the sparkplug hole and actually see the piston. At that point both valves should be closed (therefore at there lowest point). You should be able to set them there. Hope that helps.

Check that piston is at top dead center (or close) ? If you remove the plugs put your finger over spark plug hole tightly. WHen you feel compression lifting it off then that cylinder should be on the compressions stroke. You can eyeball it through the sparkplug hole and actually see the piston. At that point both valves should be closed (therefore at there lowest point). You should be able to set them there. Hope that helps.

PS...the piston also rises on the exhaust stroke so feel the push rods and make sure they arent moving when the piston is at top..If they aren't then that is top dead center. Even though its the exhaust stroke you will still feel push of air somewhat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back