free website stats program Lifter Noise Top End | Harley Davidson Forums

Lifter Noise Top End

scspur

07' RK 103 SBC Heads 577 cam......I have changed lifters 5 times and still getting a slapping noise. Inspection of rockers and valves look fine. This last set of lifters are SE lifters and I set to 3 1/4 turns with SE push rods. I have tried several different settings on lifters though and all seem the same. I will say that sometimes it is hard to get the feel for where to stop taking out slop in push rods because the lifters depress so easy. I have found that sometimes the lifter is able to turn as soon as I have made adjustment and it is not tight to the turn. But when it is I still have noise. I have done this several times on several different bikes and never had this problem. This one has me scratching my head.

Thanks
Edit/Delete Message

sure is the lifters and not the primary chain? it will slap and sound like lifters..

also what is the lift of the cam maybe the pushrods hitting the tubes or the rocker boxs need to be clearanced?

07' RK 103 SBC Heads 577 cam......I have changed lifters 5 times and still getting a slapping noise. Inspection of rockers and valves look fine. This last set of lifters are SE lifters and I set to 3 1/4 turns with SE push rods. I have tried several different settings on lifters though and all seem the same. I will say that sometimes it is hard to get the feel for where to stop taking out slop in push rods because the lifters depress so easy. I have found that sometimes the lifter is able to turn as soon as I have made adjustment and it is not tight to the turn. But when it is I still have noise. I have done this several times on several different bikes and never had this problem. This one has me scratching my head.

Thanks
Edit/Delete Message

3 and 1/4 turns seems a bit too much for pushrod adjustment. I have the SE adjustables and I run at about 2 and 1/2 to 2 and 3/4 turn. If they are over extended the lifters will not fill with oil and it will definitely be noisy. (These are the pushrods with the white circle on them for adjusting right?? Also, are you sure that you are at TDC? Not trying to insult your intelligence, but I just want to make sure. You say you've done this many times before so I would assume you know all that.:) )

Lifters should not bleed down that quickly, was that 5 different sets of lifters? 2.5 turns are good for S/E pushrods. If you have started up the engine the lifters should be pumped up and then they are not easy to depress. If you have lifters in that have been run and oil light went out, I would try one more time, just loosen them up, then adjust making sure the lifter is at the lowest point. Another thing that can give you slapping noise is if you have over size valve spring (racing springs) too much spring load will give some heavy tapping, but if you did not clearance the lower rocker box, take the top box off and run a feeler guage (about 0.008) around the back side of the spring tops, they sometime hit the lower part by the screw holes. Are your tappers getting oil to pump up, if their not then the top end is not ether.

Here's a easy to make a tool to check for coil bind. if the heads and cam are made to work together then it should be ok.
valvesspringcoilbind.jpg

The Short Block Charlie heads do have the heavier springs than stock. When I installed the lifters I ran it for a while this evening down the road to make sure the lifters were loading. I plan to adjust them again in the morning now that I know they have been loaded. I will try the 2-2 1/2 setting now that they have loaded. It could very well be valve noise from the heavy springs or lack of clearance in the rockers. Thanks for the ideas to work with guys. Sometimes you get the blinders on and it takes another set of eyes or brains in this case to look at the problem.

thanks

I know this may sound silly, but trust me, it can be the source of what sounds like a valve tap due to the lifters (ask me how I know!!). Check for an exhaust leak. I fiddled with my lifters after my roller chain conversion, and then finally ended up changing the HD crush washers for some Cometic C9540 PREMIUM. When the headers were snugged back up, what I thought was valve tapping was gone. I counld not "feel" the leak with my hands, but am convinced that was the problem.

Exhaust leak sounds like lifter - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I removed the rocker covers yesterday and ground down a couple of likely spots of contact. I lowered the lifters to 2 1/2 rounds. I still have alot more noise than I would like, but it is significantly better than it was. I am hopeing that it will get better with a little more break in miles. Packing up today and leaving for Daytona in the morning. Thanks for all the help and I will continue to post my updates as I continue my quest to dampen the valve train.
Thanks guys!!!:D

my brother had a similar problem and it turned out be that he used black rtv on the lifter to case gaskets when he replaced the lifters. thus he plugged up the oil flow to the lifters and had the noise that you are describing. hope this helps

Back