free website stats program Lifter configuration | Harley Davidson Forums

Lifter configuration

TQuentin1

Staff member
I am swapping out the old lifters for a new set of replacement "B"s. I have always thought that since these lifters do not rotate due to the anti-rotation pin, it does not matter which way the oil port in the side of the lifter faces. But my question is, DOES it matter which way the oil ports in the side of the lifers face? Should they face each other, face away from each other, both left, both right, or doesn't matter? What do you guys think? I can find no discussion of this in my service manual.

TQ

From what I have gathered, on an old set of lifters minding oil port direction when reinstalling was a way to insure that the rollers were turning the same direction as when pulled out. On new lifters that obviously doesn't make any difference.

New installation does not matter, but once installed, the wear pattern is established so they should be installed in the same hole and direction for the roller/pinned type lifters to maintain the same wear pattern relationship with the cams.

For those of you that have never seen the guts of a lifter (like me before today!!), check out the pix below. These are HD "B" lifters.

Someone explain the way these things work.

TQ

Attachments

• P5170215.jpg
    P5170215.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 601
  • P5170216.jpg
    P5170216.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 579
  • P5170218.jpg
    P5170218.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 580
  • P5170214.jpg