free website stats program Lifter clatter in 103 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lifter clatter in 103

I have 2013 Switchback 103 CI. I mentioned to the Dealer the Lifters were noisy. They claim everything else is quieter so you hear the Lifters more. Put in Amsoil 20/50 and they got a lot quieter. Had the same results with the Transmission. I am not a dealer for Amsoil.
Just sharing something that worked on my Harley.
Jambriwal

I have an 09 Classic which does the same thing. I have taken it to my dealer they checked oil pressure which checked out ok. Since then I brought it back and pretty much they say that is normal. I have used Amsoil 20/50, even tried a non synethic 20/50 oil and got the same noise. I am running Harley Syn3 now and have heard the same noise. Not so much if I get to ride it every day. Stated it sat am before a ride no noise rode it for 110 miles to another dealer went in to shop came back out an hour later started it and it made the same rattling noise but not as long as it does some time. I just don't know what to do. Any suggestions out there?

I have an 09 Classic which does the same thing. I have taken it to my dealer they checked oil pressure which checked out ok. Since then I brought it back and pretty much they say that is normal. I have used Amsoil 20/50, even tried a non synethic 20/50 oil and got the same noise. I am running Harley Syn3 now and have heard the same noise. Not so much if I get to ride it every day. Stated it sat am before a ride no noise rode it for 110 miles to another dealer went in to shop came back out an hour later started it and it made the same rattling noise but not as long as it does some time. I just don't know what to do. Any suggestions out there?

You can replace the stock (EDIT) "99C" lifters with better aftermarket ones. Such as S&S lifters, Head Quarters Black Ops lifter, Gaterman 1023 lifters, Woods directional lifters to name several

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:

STOP the motor on a Neutral position..

I'm not kidding... YOU can move the motor after stopped IN GEAR (2) to find the in-between spot so lifter does not bleed down...

I KEEP telling members that the one size PRods HD uses and their setting closer to the top of the lifter will MAKE MORE NOISE than using adjustable lifters set taking up the Noisy space on the PRELOAD...

HEY out there,,,,,Anybody LISTENING???

JUST MY WAY........

YOU either need to get a new set of lifters and go with adjust-PRods or ?????????

(09 has the Best HD "B" lifters in them, But they could be bad OR only needs ONE bad one to make noise)

Set the Pre Load Closer to the bottom of the lifters and LESS noise will be there on startup From A collapsed lifter...

Adjustables @ 24 thrds per inch set from "0" lash on the lifter.... GO a full 4 T and be done with it... about .160 into the .200 of movement...

YES it is okay to do...Me and other BUILDERS do it all the time...

signed....BUBBIE

I have a new 2013 flhtk with 1200 miles. When starting cold after it has sat over night I get a loud clatter for a few seconds when starting. I am using 20/50 non synthetic HD oil. I think it is the lifters. Is this normal?

A lifter or lifters bleeding down overnight and making some racket for "few seconds" would not bother me. However, the later "C" lifters are no longer made by Delphi but were outsourced to Mexico for the '10 model year. IIRC, this was a running change and even some late '09 models may have shipped with the "C" lifter.

What would concern me is that there have been issues with the "C" lifter rollers. A little start up noise from lifters pumping up will not lead to a major repair; maybe a bit annoying but harmless. However, if the noise is a roller going south, that could lead to bad juju.

The smart/safe solution is replacement lifters. You can spend anywhere from $60 for a set of CompCam VThunder lifters up to $250+ for S&S new precision lifters with BlackOps, Woods Directional and a couple of others in between. I have installed several sets of the CompCams lifters with very good results. I would also agree with Bubbie on adjustable pushrods but for a different reason. The factory tolerances in valve train stack up height are sloppy. Sloppy tolerances in valve train stack up height can lead to valve train noise lifter bleed down notwithstanding. Adjsutable pushrods allow one to eliminate any stack up height sloppiness. Having said that, I would not advise the novice DIY guy to set the preload any lower than about .135".

ALWAYS Star Over from "0" lash.... Best....

Setting from "0" lash. I use the 4.0 on my SE Slender Tapers (24 per ").

I have found that using 2.5---3---- 3.5 Not enough Pre-Load on my stock "B" lifters.

The 4.0 works great in mine.

Some builders tighten till the lifter is completely bottomed out ... Telling by no turn and valve opened a bit. Not that hard to do ... Then backing off until they feel the p-rod turn easy(un hindered but collapsed IN all the way)
THEN ONE Full turn Loose . I'd add about 3 flats to make sure though.

I run my 09 with se 255's and they are quiet ONLY by using 4.0 -- 4.1...

No matter thickness of gaskets used, the setting from "0" Lash is where you start.

FINGER tight and Not Wrench tight to find "0" lash.
I shake the P-rod to make sure it is at "0" after I Think it is there.....FINGERS Only...Then wrench and COUNT accurate...

Using solid Original push-rods Will make a difference on gasket and head Changed Dimensions. (stacking height) HD's are terrible in being NON consistent, causing One bike to be quiet then the Next to be noisy.

This MIGHT be your problem...

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks everyone for the information. Not sure what I will do at this time, but did give me something to think about. Doesn't do it everytime just every now and then. Must be it bleeding down. I'll follow up when I decide what to do.
Again, Thanks!!

whats the out-side- air- temp? less that 45 * and i'd park the bike.
one thing i would do is to replace the drain plug with a best harleydrain plug.com plug. their plug will pick up a 11/16 OE wrench. i tryed it. the OEM ones suck.anyway then you can monitor the metal shaveings as you change the oil. also you might drain your oil filter good & cut it open.

Back