Lifter clatter in 103

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by 08king, Oct 31, 2013.

1. 08king

08king Member

I have a new 2013 flhtk with 1200 miles. When starting cold after it has sat over night I get a loud clatter for a few seconds when starting. I am using 20/50 non synthetic HD oil. I think it is the lifters. Is this normal?

2. FLTR2008TRIKE

FLTR2008TRIKE Member

It shouldn't happen but not un common for it to happen. If it gets worse you should get your bike into the dealer to get them to check your tappet lifters
    [​IMG]

3. 01 rk

01 rk Active Member

Take it back to the stealership and get it repaired, avoid a problem down the road.

4. Slo-Ryd

Slo-Ryd Junior Member Contributor

+1 It really sounds like the lifters are bleeding down overnight and clattering on initial startup until they pump up again. Definitely not right. I can let mine sit for a month and not hear clatter when I start it. JMO

5. bobbeidel

bobbeidel Active Member

Might want to try synthetic oil. JMO

6. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Now one thing we don't HEAR is the clatter... Not being able to hear it, IF REALLY LOUD ? not right... If loud but ticking probably I'd call it normal...

IF the engine stops on a position where the valve is left Open, then total bleed down over night can be expected... I like to use ADJUSTABLE push-rods for that reason:

I Can set my lifter Pre-Load CLOSER to the bottom of the lifter and Not get a lot of Bleed down as the stock setting HD Uses,,,

HD used one size fits all (that I know of)

Using SnS or HD slender adjustable's allow a better fitment in MY BOOK....:s

THIS Is "Old School" tech-knowledge from me......:D

No papers out from HD for this...:p

signed....BUBBIE

7. 08king

08king Member

Yes it is a clatter not just ticking. My dealer says it's normal for a 103. I will bring it back to the dealer and see what they can do.
    Can a lifter that leaks down cause any damage?
    Thanks for your reply's
    Jim

8. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Jim,

Yes, the noise you hear is metal to metal (hammering) and not good but many lifters can do it for a long time with no real problem...

IT CAN Take out a Roller bearing in the bottom of a lifter though.....
    OR flat-spot a cam(over time)

What cam do you have in your 103"

I use the SE255's in my 103" and I do not have a problem... Gaterman lifters... SE slender tapers adjustable PR's...

BUT like I said, I used the Lower portion of the lifter pre-load and Might be why mine are quiet.

I don't think it would have anything to do with 103" Other than the cams used... (Cow Bellar noise from HD Dealer):p

IF you don't get satisfaction from your Dealer,,,,,Get a second oppinion from another... And OR ASK some of your friends or riders that have the same bike and see IF they have that Lifter Noise noise....

Usually a synthetic will allow More noise in an engine but using it may FILL that noisy lifter sooner than the Dino oil.

Use a good synthetic,,,,Not a Snake oil IMO....

Redline 20/50 is a good if not one of the best...

signed....BUBBIE

9. 08king

08king Member

Motor is stock with 1200 miles. I talked with the dealer today and they said bring back in and they would see what they could do.
    I will let you know what happens. Thanks
    Jim

10. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

If your dealer says they all do it find a new dealer, in the long run if it is a lifter problem it will get worse, plus the lifter blocks on these engines are part of the case not like the Evo engine was get it fixed ASAP