free website stats program lifter change? | Harley Davidson Forums

lifter change?

B-1B_Guy

Guys,

Building an 09 UC w/ 15K miles. Would you recommend changing tappets while the motor is tore down? I think the stock tappets are as good as the SE tappets so I'll stick w/ stock. Should I change them while I'm in there?

Also, the service manual isn't real clear on the tappet install....it just says oil holes should face "inward". Does that mean both inlet/exhast tappets oil holes face towards the jugs? Appreciate any help.

b1

I agree with you, unless you're doing a really rad cam and planning on alot of high rpm's the stock lifters sould be fine.

I am running a woods 408-6 cam that is .650 lift, builder recomended "B" stock lifters. He said he has seen many SE and other lifters fail but never saw a set of "B" lifters fail. Also I think they recomend lifter changes at 20,000 miles so while I had it apart I would change them. If I remember right the "B" lifters were around $200.00, to me it was a small price to pay for peace of mind.

I would say change the lifters. May be a bit more cost, but why take the chance. When I did my roller chain conversion, the set of "B" lifters (18538-99B) was $94 for the four. Worth it.

TQ

reach into the holes where the tappets are and you will fill the oil feed slot face the holes to them on the 04 i did the holes were towards each other outers towards cyl and inner towards the outer

Back