free website stats program lift | Harley Davidson Forums

lift

chuck60

Where do you put the lift jack on the newer bikes with the exhaust pipe running under the bike? I have the 2012 flhx.

Thanks Charlie.

Where do you put the lift jack on the newer bikes with the exhaust pipe running under the bike? I have the 2012 flhx.

Thanks Charlie.

Ugh that's a good one Charles. Are the pipes positioned in a location where blocks could be put from the lift to the frame? If so blocks made of plywood will hold better and not crack like solid wood. You can glue and nail several 5/8" ply blocks together for desired height.

Leather or naugahide strips on top of the ply also help hold it from sliding. I use 1/2" ply and naugahide strips on mine to keep it off the clutch cable, and I have torqued so hard that the lift rolls before the bike will slip on the pads. Otherwise I suspect you will need to either remove the pipes while lifting or buy a table lift.

They run this one every now and again in newspaper coupons for $299. A little more often at $399. Regular price is $599.

1000 Lb. Capacity Motorcycle Lift

Thanks Charlie.

I had to think about this one and after viewing many pictures of this bike, the front exhaust pipe appears to run slightly above and behind the back of the frame.

Correct me if I am wrong but I dont think the exhaust is really the issue. The jack should slide under the frame and away from the exhaust pipe. Just make sure the jack sits under the frame before lifting.

Anyone ?? :)

I would check it with a metal ruler or straight edge to see where the jack support/pads will rest. Here is the pix of my sportster which is "tricky" due to the placement of the center frame rail supports.

DSCN0820.jpg

I also use paint stirring sticks as shims to make sure the bike rests solid on the support with no gaps. I use a short bungee cord to keep the jiffy stand from retracting.

DSCN0821-1.jpg

I have no issues with mine not touching. You should be able to put the jack on either side and shouldn't rub.

Chuck maybe it would be helpful if you told us which jack your using.

Is this just an issue with the 2012's? I have yet to take delivery of my new 2010 Ultra Classic, so I can't check it. Seems the new 103 has a catalytic converter and maybe that is what is causing the issue. Just wondering...:newsmile058:

Just put it under the frame and jack it up. If you were back that far for the exhaust to interfear the weight balance ft/bk would be way off and you couldnt lift the bike up anyhow

2012 frame should be same as my 2009 & you'll slide jack in from Right side so Right lift arm is sitting just where the frame front bends to back of bike.

I'm guessing the HF jack's too tall for FLHX because bike sits low & you need "low-profile" jack, or block under jiffystand. This is why the "spendy" jacks are nice because they're buily to slide under w/clearance for all HD frame(s). Not trying to bash your choice of m/c jacks - just letting others know what to consider when shopping...:D

Back