free website stats program Lift for my FXDL | Harley Davidson Forums

Lift for my FXDL

Suggestions for a lift that will get under my '03 LR? I've read some about them. The Yellow one from HF($99.99+) and 2 Larins, ATV & MAL-2C. The Yellow from both HF and J&P look exactly the same...different $$ tho. The Larins I've seen are from Garage Toys and have confusing cost descriptions. Descriptions both indicate No Free Shipping, but then at the bottom it says to input 'freeshipping' in the coupon box for free shipping?? One is Red the other Black, but other than a few dollars I can not discern the difference between the two? Anyway, looking for advice on a lift. Thanks

I have the HF yellow lift and it works great. Stable even with both wheels removed. Just did the modification that R.W.B recommended and it fit any dyna model. Good Luck!
:)

If you're not looking to spend a ton of ca$h on a lift - the HF & Sears ones work fine & there are many pleased members/owners. If you want to invest a bit more $$$ - J&S Jacks & Pit Bull are the top dawgs. Personally - I own the J&S. Good luck w/your search.

I do not know why you would spend thousands of dollars on a bike and then buy a cheap made in china lift to pick it up with. HF and sears jacks are made by the same people. The bolts that they use are not grade 8 and will shear off and drop you bike in the floor. I know of 5 or six people that lost there bike off of the cheap stand. I had a sears jack and it sheared off a bolt and I was lucky to be standing at the bike talking to a friend and we were able to keep it from falling to the floor. The next day I got a Pit Bull jack and we have it for the rest of my life or until I can ride no more. I have had a lot of bike on the Pit Bull even a GW and a Ultra and never one time did I feel like it was going to fall or was moving around to much.

I do not know why you would spend thousands of dollars on a bike and then buy a cheap made in china lift to pick it up with. HF and sears jacks are made by the same people. The bolts that they use are not grade 8 and will shear off and drop you bike in the floor. I know of 5 or six people that lost there bike off of the cheap stand. I had a sears jack and it sheared off a bolt and I was lucky to be standing at the bike talking to a friend and we were able to keep it from falling to the floor. The next day I got a Pit Bull jack and we have it for the rest of my life or until I can ride no more. I have had a lot of bike on the Pit Bull even a GW and a Ultra and never one time did I feel like it was going to fall or was moving around to much.

I agree. After further 'discussion' I've put the Larin jacks out of my mind. Same goes for other brands made Out of Country. The Pitbull brand out of Tenn and the J&S brands are the only 2 under consideration now.

Are there 2 brands named pitbull? The Pitbull brand of TN is from the Watson Manf company, but I've read some disparaging comments about 'a' pitbull brand jack/lift(whatever ya wanna call this tool).

One big concern I have is about lowering the bike slowly while being able to control the bike. I've experienced 'surprises' with jacks before and I'd rather not have a repeat. I'm a one-man show here, old(er) and not as strong/quick as in the 'ago'. No one to call out to, so I'm buying a SAFE/Strong tool for both me and my ride.

Thanks for all the responses!

Nice thing about the Pit Bull is it will come down as slow as you want it to. I just put the jiffy stand down and let it creep. I would go to there web site and watch the video.

This is an old subject covered well in other threads and forums so don't want to start another debate on it. But just try and help you out with your options, there are guys that swear by the J&S lift. And it is a very good lift (with a very steep price) here is the link if you want to look at it.

Big Wheel Motorcycle Lifts - JS Jacks

But myself personally if I spent that much money on a lift I'm gonna get a full-fledge table lift like you see at the pro shops. With the money I had, I went with Harbor Freight lift and it has served me well many times. Love my new Harbor Freight bike lift. Got it for 80 bucks on sale. Sometimes they run these for $69 bucks. You have to swap to braces to the outside though to miss the Dyan's oil pan that sticks down below the frame. Here is how,

(Please excuse lawn mower handle in picture at left)
Had to do the Dyna Modification to it, which basically is moving the pads to the outside of the lift braces to allow room in between for the Dyna oil pan that sits below frame.

Keep your old bolts and buy the extended warranty (it's less than 10 bucks) my jack started leaking just a littel later and I had to switch the pads back when I took it back and they gave me a new one. (I think it started leaking after I jacked it all the way up with nothing on it once)

NOTE: Keep kickstand down and hands on handlebars when lowering. If you don't press the foot lever the exact amount it will come down pretty quick. I usually press the lever all the way down and have never had a real problem holding bike. One guy drilled the foot lever and mounted a set bolt that would stop the lever at the slowest position (which isn't always at the beginning)

r_w_b-albums-rear+turn+signal+relo+kit-picture5880-love_my_new_harbor_freight_bike_lift_got_it_for_80_bucks_please_excuse_lawn_mower_handle_in_picture_at_left_had_to_do_the_dyna_modification_to_it_which_basically_is_moving_the_pads_to_the_outside_of_the_lift_braces_to_allow_room_in_between_for_the_dyna_oil_pan_that_sits_below_frame_keep_your_old_bolts_and_buy_the_extended_warranty_its_less_than_10_bucks_my_jack_started_leaking_later_and_i_had_to_switch_the_pads_back_when_i_took_it_back_and_they_gave_me_a_new_one_note_keep_kickstand_down_and_hands_on_handlebars_when_lowering_if_you_dont_press_the_foot_lever_the_exact_amount_it_will_come_down_pretty_quick_i_usually_press_the_lever_all_the_way_down_and_have_never_had_a_real_problem_holding_bike_one_guy_drilled_the_foot_lever_and_mounted_a_set_bolt_that_would_stop_the_lever_at_the_slowest_position_which_isnt_always_at_the_beginning.jpg

Bought 5 1/2" long 1/2" bolts (drilled out holes a bit) to move the pads. Looks like 5" long would have worked. Just measure your pads to see. I also think the stock dia size would be fine, and would save drilling. Had to cut off the end of bolt by jiffy stand brace ( I could have just turned the bolt around).
Put plywood pads to raise it up a bit so lift pads would miss clutch cable underneath. Put scrape leather strips on plywood to keep from slipping. Holds good.

DO NOT BUY THE ALUMINUM MODEL, I have heard that it sways and is flimsy. It is not even built the same design so I don't know if it could be Dyna modified.

HARBOR FREIGHT BIKE LIFTS
Steel one $89 usual, some sales for $79.
Item # 2792 Manufacturer: Central Hydraulics <-GOOD, LIKE MINE

Aluminum one $More but not as good
Item # 94715 Manufacturer: Central Hydraulics <-NOT SURE BOUT THIS ONE
r_w_b-albums-rear+turn+signal+relo+kit-picture5879-bought_5_1_2_long_1_2_bolts_drilled_out_holes_a_bit_to_move_the_pads_looks_like_5_long_would_have_worked_just_measure_your_pads_to_see_i_also_think_the_stock_dia_size_would_be_fine_and_would_save_drilling_had_to_cut_off_the_end_of_bolt_by_jiffy_stand_brace_i_could_have_just_turned_the_bolt_around_put_plywood_pads_to_raise_it_up_a_bit_so_lift_pads_would_miss_clutch_cable_underneath_put_scrape_leather_strips_on_plywood_to_keep_from_slipping_holds_good_do_not_buy_the_aluminum_model_i_have_heard_that_it_sways_and_is_flimsy_it_is_not_even_built_the_same_design_so_i_dont_know_if_it_could_be_dyna_modified_harbor_freight_bike_lifts_steel_one_89_usual_some_sales_for_79_item_2792_manufacturer_central_hydraulics_good_like_mine_aluminum_one_more_but_not_as_good_item_94715_manufacturer_central_hydraulics_bad_do_not.jpg

I agree with the others who posted earlier. You have a great (and costly) bike. Buy a high-quality jack to lift it and also give you the confidence that the bike will not wobble, the jack components will not break, etc.. I bought a J&S and could not be happier. Take a look at their video on their website. It impressed me enough to buy one and it was a great decision.

One thing to keep in mind and check before you buy a jack regardless of brand is that the cheaper jacks do not have grade 8 bolts. This could result in one breaking and having your bike drop to the ground.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a new J&S when I thought to check want-ads for one. Guess what? Found a nice man who had a J&S for sale. Went to his place this morning and checked it out. Handed him the money! With the jack he gave me the GL adapter and the oil adapter. Saved a bunch of money too :) Learned first lesson before I even got it into the trunk.....gotta pump it up before the locks will disengage.

Back