free website stats program Lifespan on belt | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lifespan on belt

I saw it happen....... On my bike at the HD dealer...

The mechanic said he was inspecting my belt on a rear tire change. Noticed an OLD rock hole in the center of the belt and I was called to Look...

I said I knew it was there and it was no problem... While Looking with the mechanic. He was twisting and bending the belt open , in reverse position so he could show me.. I hollered for him to STOP,,, He jumped as I said that and asked why..I said, YOU don't squeeze a belt tight into a "reverse loop" nor a "forward one" either.. The fibers are not built to take that.(.)

I never gave it much more thought Until about a week later the belt snapped and it was a straight across snap right where he had bent it tightly to look at the old rock hole.It was a clean hole and right in the middle of the belt as I removed the rock a month or so earlier....It should not have been a problem.

I attribute the snapping of belt, with the Bending tightly in reverse.

I thought about saying something, but I Just went ahead and replaced my belt with a newer one.... I called that My 2 LUCKY days, as it broke outside my garage the next morning and the night before (lucky) I had just beat a huge storm home...

The point here is Handling of the belt Before you get it. Who knows?

Belts should never be placed into a tight bend and doing so could shorten the life of one.. Your belt probably "Could Of Happened" this waay if it was mishandled in shipping or ?

signed....BUBBIE

That tech aint no tech Bubbie he should have known better

I would guess more belts break from being too tight than too loose. If I was going to make an error on belt tension, I would rather have it a bit loose than a bit too tight. It will never live through being too tight but may live through being a bit loose.

And your pulleys and bearings will say thank you sir

Last edited by a moderator:
Would this theory hold water.

On my bike the rear pulley is a bit wider than the belt. Therefore a section of cogs all the way around the pulley are unused and still new. When you replace the belt, if the belt tracking now is slightly different (because of rear axle alignment) the belt could ride on the lifted new unused section and the remainder of belt riding in the used lower area.
The ratio of used section vs new section is probably 20 to 1 but when you adjust the belt it will be based on the 95% in the used track. Since these belts do not stretch at all, I would think that other 5% of over tight would raise havoc on the fiberglass inside the belt slowly fracturing strand by strand. Even just a .005 lift all the way around the pulley would be a heck of extra circumference. That 5% edge would be a lot tighter. Therefore one side or edge of the belt would now always be wanting to start a tear.

Would this theory hold water.

On my bike the rear pulley is a bit wider than the belt. Therefore a section of cogs all the way around the pulley are unused and still new. When you replace the belt, if the belt tracking now is slightly different (because of rear axle alignment) the belt could ride on the lifted new unused section and the remainder of belt riding in the used lower area.
The ratio of used section vs new section is probably 20 to 1 but when you adjust the belt it will be based on the 95% in the used track. Since these belts do not stretch at all, I would think that other 5% of over tight would raise havoc on the fiberglass inside the belt slowly fracturing strand by strand. Even just a .005 lift all the way around the pulley would be a heck of extra circumference. That 5% edge would be a lot tighter. Therefore one side or edge of the belt would now always be wanting to start a tear.

As long as the pulleys are in good shape IE no sharp edges you should be OK if you have high miles I would change the pulleys, Nothing like new parts for worry free riding, These belts are pretty forgiving unlike chains and are pretty durable. I remember the torture test The MOCO did with a high mile belt it was pretty amazing how strong these belts are and they have gotten better since the Sturgis model and the FLTmodels in the 80)s

Nothing like new parts for worry free riding, s

I agree that there is nothing better than new parts. To me, the price on some parts are so reasonable like an IAC motor or the SE Compensator kit. Truly a bargain. And then some are crazy expensive like the rear pulley or a single hub less front brake rotor both of which are over $200 each. I guess it is just the way it is. :p

Thanks for all the good answers.
Now the bike is at the workshop, they will help me get on a new one and it should not cost me much.
There is not a sign of wear on either side or on the inside.

Attachments

• Gates belt.JPG
    Gates belt.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 26
This is just a generic question, do any of those marking on the belt look like a date code? I would sure like to know if HD is using their newer tech belt technology to fit our older model year machines...

Back