free website stats program License Plate Relocation Wiring Help Needed | Harley Davidson Forums

License Plate Relocation Wiring Help Needed

CHZWIZ

I am relocating my license plate on my EG police model where it is mounted to the fixed rack and lit by the tail light. I bought a used RK turn signal bar with the license mount and light. This is an actual pic of the one I bought showing the license plate lamp wires where the connect was most likely clipped off.
RK t-signal.jpg

So my dilemma is that I want to wire the license lamp into the fender tip lamp but want to do it right so there is no wiring mess. When you remove the tail light lens you have the circuit board that everything plugs into. The top left socket is for the fender tip/license plate light. I guess the intention was to use one or the other, but in my case I want to have both. I searched for a y-adapter today to no avail, but would like to wire it so all the parts could be taken off the fender easily like they are now. Has anybody here done this or have a good idea on how to do this in the correct manner? Thanks ChzWiz

I am relocating my license plate on my EG police model where it is mounted to the fixed rack and lit by the tail light. I bought a used RK turn signal bar with the license mount and light. This is an actual pic of the one I bought showing the license plate lamp wires where the connect was most likely clipped off.
View attachment 17624

So my dilemma is that I want to wire the license lamp into the fender tip lamp but want to do it right so there is no wiring mess. When you remove the tail light lens you have the circuit board that everything plugs into. The top left socket is for the fender tip/license plate light. I guess the intention was to use one or the other, but in my case I want to have both. I searched for a y-adapter today to no avail, but would like to wire it so all the parts could be taken off the fender easily like they are now. Has anybody here done this or have a good idea on how to do this in the correct manner? Thanks ChzWiz

I haven't done it but I think any good electrical supply or shop could fabricate a connector for you and probably cheaper than HD if they have one. Good luck

I simply removed the small plug in the upper left slot of the taillight housing for the tri-bar/fender tip light, used a flat head eyeglass screwdriver to release the tangs holding in the pins in the connector, soldered the wires to the back of the pins, reinserted the pins into the connector and voila.....done. You can tap into that connector or the taillight running pins on the brake light connector....either will work.

Back