free website stats program License plate bracket-----HELP !!! | Harley Davidson Forums

License plate bracket-----HELP !!!

Whiterook

I made a mistake and went in my Harley dealer today and found a chrome license plate bracket. Thinking this would be a no-brainer I brought it home and I cant see how to remove the old one and replace it. Any ideas????? I have an 2007 heritage softail. The bracket is curved and secured with 3 philips screws but it is impossible to get to them. So, how do you do it???????? Special tools or what??? Thanks for any replies.

You might need to remove the light or try to undue the nuts under the fender.

Last edited:
Somebode else asked me that a while back but I can't remember exactly what the bracket looks like. I have a 1/4" ratcheting wrench that holds a 1/4" screwdriver bit, it's 1/4" on one end and 5/16' on the other.

Yep, the answer is to attack from underneath. Can't get my arm in there on my Sportster so I just figured it was the same with the Heritage. It was very easy with a little quarter inch wratchet. Couldn't see the forest for the trees. Thanks for your help!!

Can you put the bike on your lift, yank the axle and raise the bike off the wheel enough to get at the stuff under the sheet metal??

TQ

I took a quick look at the service manual and it looks like the screws are accessed from the inside of the fender. That means that you will most likely have to drop the tire out of the way in order to do the swap. It might be more than you were planning on doing, but it is sometimes the price we have to pay to customize. If your close to needing a new rear tire you might want to wait and do it all at once.

If you do your own wrenching it shouldn't be a big deal. If dropping the tire is more than you want to take on, I'd wait until the tire needs to be replaced. I ride at least 10K miles a year so tire changes happen for me about once a year. If your not logging those type of miles, you might want to consider getting a service manual and doing the job yourself.

Back