free website stats program Lexan | Harley Davidson Forums

Lexan

racerx

Banned
Anyone have problems with cracking around mouting screws on extended side
windshields? I have a 10 inch on my FLHX and just started cracking at right corner.

RacerX

If you want to spend some time on it, I have had good luck with using a dremel tool in the hole but you must remove it and disassemble it to get at the shield itself. I used a diamond burr tip.
The dremel when used in the mounting hole to enlarge it just a tiny bit will actually melt it back together and stop the crack from spreading any further.
The crack is usually caused by the bolt that goes through the hole contacting the shield material where it passes through the brackets.

If you want to spend some time on it, I have had good luck with using a dremel tool in the hole but you must remove it and disassemble it to get at the shield itself. I used a diamond burr tip.
The dremel when used in the mounting hole to enlarge it just a tiny bit will actually melt it back together and stop the crack from spreading any further.
The crack is usually caused by the bolt that goes through the hole contacting the shield material where it passes through the brackets.
I really like this shield is has an extended wing hanging over edges and a flat top but I am beginning to wonder if air on these wings have caused this?

RacerX

If you remove the bolt where the crack comes from, you'll more than likely see what I am saying about the shield material showing in the brace hole a bit. That's what's causing the crack.

We used to use Lexan extensively when I ran the contaminated tooling shop for GE. We found through a lot of trial and error, that if the side of the bolt or screw contacts the Lexan, it is going to crack. Threaded holes for screws did not crack, never really understood that particular item. We eventually drilled the holes oversize and used rubber sleeves to prevent side loading of the Lexan. Once we did that, the cracks went away. The same concept could be used on any windshield.

Back