free website stats program Leveling Bike For Maintainance | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Leveling Bike For Maintainance

I purchased a bike lift from harbor Freight about two years ago. Paid about $70 for it and while I only use it once a year to do the fluid changes, it's well worth the money. Was in the store a few weeks ago and the same lift is actually $20 cheaper. You might want to check it out....

Since I don't have access to a bike stand or jack, can anyone recommend a way I can level my 2002 Fat Boy for fluid changes etc. Getting tired of doing the job while the bike is leaned over on the kick stand?

Thanks

I used to do the low budget thing of leaning the bike against a sturdy wooden fence in gear balanced, putting blocks of wood under the sidestand / frame to make sure if weighted or tilted towards stand side it was secure. :coffee

You can also mount bike hooks strategically attached to studs in your garage at the proper height and do the same, with Ancra Straps to secure bike to them and again stacking wood to secure bike frame and jiffy stand. Worked fine for 2 years until I recently decided to got a motorcycle lift. :D

Last edited:
I used to have my wife sit on the bike and hold it steady LOL

Well Jack, hope you were paying her union wages, being an equal opportunity employer...eh...with benefits! :newsmile092:

I picked up a lift at sears on sale for $ 159. It is made of aluminum and only weighs 44 LBs
works great for cleaning and maintenance
when they have it on sale, you can find a coupon on the web for extra $ off

I put a eye hook in the rafter of the garage ceiling so I could hang the handlebars or front end while the bike is on the lift. But, I have found it works good for holding the bike straight up with a fan belt around the handlebars and use a come-a-long to rachet the bike up straight. I like changing fluids on the kick (jiffy? someday I'm going to research how that came about) stand, using a cake pan....just faster for me.

Thorns

I put eyelets on each side of my garage then small nylon straps chaked around the handle bars then I attach rachet style of straps and crank them tight in a upright position works great other than thet fact that you have to duck under the straps

Back