free website stats program Let's talk tempertures | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Let's talk tempertures

"Has anyone ever thought about replacing the ambient air temp. gage with an oil temperature gage?"
acj2001jones;
I beleive H-D still makes a conversion kit to install an oil temp guage in the hole where the useless air temp guage sits. At least for baggers. Not sure about FLHX.

Rod

I think the difference in tire temp. from the center to the edge is the fact that the edge is where the tire flexes with each rotation

I just want to know who the rocket scientist is that descided to put an ambiant temperature sensor on my bike?Did they realy think putting a sensor on a 200 degree bike would give us an accurate reading?
Gee, Im cold..yep there it is that temp gauge confirms it, Im cold.

Replace it with an oil temp gauge. (P/N 75324-05 - Silver Face; 75320-05 - Spun Aluminum Face; 75265-04 - Black Face) I was wondering the same thing. Who CARES what the ambient air temp is? I've heard that some put the temp pickup in the oil pan (big-twins). Mine works great.
75324_05_S_1fe11.jpg

They run about $140.

Replace it with an oil temp gauge. (P/N 75324-05 - Silver Face; 75320-05 - Spun Aluminum Face; 75265-04 - Black Face) I was wondering the same thing. Who CARES what the ambient air temp is? I've heard that some put the temp pickup in the oil pan (big-twins). Mine works great.
75324_05_S_1fe11.jpg

They run about $140.

2005 FLSTNI. STOCK MOTOR. STAGE ONE W/TFI. Oil temp 210-215 in town riding, temperature 98-100 degrees. Good? High?

thanks ride safe

Your next to the spark plug is about 150*shy of reality.
Most air cooled engines, Harley's included, while in motion will have a head temperature between 230 and 250. That's not next to the spark plug which is close to 360*.

Digital laser thermometers read different on different colors and textures.

Think about it, combustion temperature is 450* to 580* F

And how close is the spark plug to the combustion event?

Al

The combustion temperature of Gasoline is 494 degrees fahrenheit. given the compression and other factors the exaust gas temps usually will be in the area of 1200-1800 degrees F and even hotter. The actual combustion chamber temp will be higher as heat is extracted in the expanding gasses to push the piston down. So seeing a reading of 200-300 degrees means the cylinders are doing a good job of extracting the heat.

Back