free website stats program Lets see pictures of your painted inner fairings? | Harley Davidson Forums

Lets see pictures of your painted inner fairings?

I looked around and haven't seen just one location for pictures of painted inner fairings so I thought it would be nice to bring one up and let people show what i think is the best bang for the buck in upgrades. Here are a few picts of mine to start things off so lets see some of you that have gotten really creative with 2 tones and such.

sgfairing1.jpg

sgfairing3.jpg

How bad is it when the sun is behind you as far as reflextion goes. And if you don't mind how much did it cost you to do it? Did you do most of the work yourself or did you have it done?

SWEEET!! I am going to have mine done this winter when I have to put my ride to rest.I agree it is alot of bang for the buck. My dealer said 5 bills will get me one in black cherry.

Nice work on the inner fairing...several have had it done and honestly, I think the fairings should come that way! One would think that we have come a long way from the 70's. Prior to that, everything was fiberglass and unfinished entirely. Then a guy named Craig Vetter introduced the aftermarket fairings initially out of fiberglass, but then made out them out of ABS for the everyman. His fairings were injection molded and bonded exterior to interior ABS panels with matching shiny textured interior trim and hid the unfinished surfaces inside the compartments.

How bad is it when the sun is behind you as far as reflextion goes. And if you don't mind how much did it cost you to do it? Did you do most of the work yourself or did you have it done?

I have close to 30,000 miles on my 08 Street Glide with 25,000 with the painted inner fairing. No real issues with the sun reflection.
CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE:

Attachments

• 100_0684.jpg
    100_0684.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 315
  • 100_0670.jpg
    100_0670.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
How much work is it to remove everything attached to the inner fairing? My son sprays high-tech paint on boats for the USN and has done serveral cars so maybe I could get him to do it this winter. When he use to do it on the side he would do one boat in a marina and get 2-3 others when they saw his work.

How much work is it to remove everything attached to the inner fairing? My son sprays high-tech paint on boats for the USN and has done serveral cars so maybe I could get him to do it this winter. When he use to do it on the side he would do one boat in a marina and get 2-3 others when they saw his work.

I had the manual and it took me about 5 hours. Most of that was just re-reading the instructions until I felt I knew exactly what they were saying. I initially bought the inner from harley (440.00 delivered from Zanotti's HD) (and I believe Lakeshore HD is giving free shipping now but you would have to check)---- It turned out to be a very easy operation but as I said, a little time consuming just because I had never done one. Now this would also be a great time to change out your gauges to something like Dakota digitals if your so inclined. You don't really take all of the wiring off, you just disconnect. I labeled everything but even that was not really necessary. As was said, dealer wants 3 hours labor and it's just worth trying yourself. Just make sure you have everything covered and a place to put parts so they don't get scratched and you will be ok. Oh, there is no real glare that I have run into. You get more of that off of the little chrome rings around the gauges. I did a small writeup and it's on my website Harley Bills Home Page and it's under the "How To" section on the bottom right.

I had this done when I purchased the bike so the dealer put it all together. Out of everything I have extra on the bike this is the one thing everybody notices and talks about. It is amazing what a difference a painted inner fairing makes.

Attachments

• 100_0744.jpg
    100_0744.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 283
I had this done when I purchased the bike so the dealer put it all together. Out of everything I have extra on the bike this is the one thing everybody notices and talks about. It is amazing what a difference a painted inner fairing makes.

Totally agree. Mz Bling talked me into mine and that is one of the first things that people comment on. Really dresses up the bike.

Back