free website stats program Let's Pay Attention People | Harley Davidson Forums

Let's Pay Attention People

DDogg

I can not believe what I just seen on the news. A motorcyclist was killed slamming into a semi and then to make matters worst, the driver said he felt the trailer roll over him. The biker was on his cell phone. On his cell phone. Come on. Some people seem to amaze me by thinking it will never happen to them. I ride a Dyna Fat Bob, no radio, no gadgets to be taking my attention away from the rode. Please don't get me wrong, I feel terrible for the guy and his family. I can't believe we will now pass a law stating, "No texting while riding your Harley". Let's Pay Attention. Two hands on the bars. Use your head or you won't have one to use. Ride safe.

Wow,
Absolutely unbelievable what some folks do while riding...and I thought we have enough to do when riding. As you, I feel for his family he left behind, hopefully this will be a rare incident.

No law will ever stop this behavior, just like speed limits do not stop speeding. Regulation will only cause those that are caught to pay a fine.

We Americans have a cavalier attitude about driving. We take it as a Right, not a priviledge. Our tests for getting a license are laughably simple. If someone was seen waving a gun on the street, they would be in jail in a minute, but texting while driving a 4,000 pound vehicle 60 mph is "multitasking", and allowable behavior. The car can kill more people in less time than a gun. It's sad that "no texting while driving laws" have to even be considered, it's common sense.
I have heard that some/many European countries have much stricter tests for licensing, so should we. Off my soapbox now.

Last edited by a moderator:
We Americans have a cavalier attitude about driving. We take it as a Right, not a priviledge. Our tests for getting a license are laughably simple. If someone was seen waving a gun on the street, they would be in jail in a minute, but texting while driving a 4,000 pound vehicle 60 mph is "multitasking", and allowable behavior. The car can kill more people in less time than a gun. It's sad that "no texting while driving laws" have to even be considered, it's common sense.
I have heard that some/many European countries have much stricter tests for licensing, so should we. Off my soapbox now.

I've said it before and I still believe it - this will never happen until some high up muckity muck (yes, I love politicians) loses one or more loved ones to a texting driver. Then it will overnight become a national priority!

how do you text whilst riding !!!!!!!! even with cruise control you need one hand on the bars and 2 eyes forwards - man i feel for the family he left behind but also for the lorry driver - nobody needs this

I can hardly text while sitting on the couch, let alone, while riding. I guess my fingers are too fat, too old or something.

Here in Virginia we will have a new no cell phone use without a hands free device law that will take effect in July. You're right it shouldn't have to be done but like I've said before common sense is nearly extinct in this country anymore.

Back