free website stats program Let's hear about the FXR's here | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Let's hear about the FXR's here

The impact tools have a tendency to knock the magnets in the stator loose from their mounting, then replacement is the only answer.

Thanks for the help Glider. I had to pool all my resources. The front sprocket required two 7mm bolts for the puller. I am guessing it was aftermarket. So I thought that would be it. Pull the the stator and I am good to go. Sad to say, I had to pull the cluch basket too. You were right, it had opposite threads. I was able to keep it intact, had to make a washer out of an old pulley to use the lock nut to keep the clutch springs compressed while I removed the cover. The a 1-1/4 socket w/ breaker bar to remove the left handed nut.

Next the clutch assembly and finally the rest of the primary case was off. I was kind of lost when it came to getting the clutch basket off. The local Harley dealer doesn't even know of the removal tools from the service manual. Plus it was Sunday. I had to call in the Marines from two houses away. My neighbor had some experience with an old sportster and also worked as a helicopter mechanic.

We got it loose and about four hours later, I was back together. I went up to Aaron's house again to get some safety wire for the reassembly and was lucky enough to be able to return the favor when he was working on his wife's Suburban. I was able to lend him my pickle fork and small sledge to get the ball joints loose. By 5 PM I was ready for a test drive. As I pulled out of my driveway, I passed Aaron testing his wife's truck. Two thumbs up and I am back on the road.

I also used some tips from the self help page. It was called stator replacement, posted by none other than Glider. I wish the pictures were still there, but the detailed step by step account let me know I was in the ballpark.

Ride on....

Hey Bikers,
I just signed onto this site, and am not very good at this posting stuff, ut here goes. I have an 84 fxr 1st year evo. My bike quit on me a couple of weeks ago and I am having trouble diagnosing its problems. I have a lot of mile on it as I have owned it 22 years, and it had a new speedo when purchased it is now on its third one, and shows 37,000 mi. Total milage is not known. I am trying to find out if there is any way for this engine to jump time, or why it would have only 70 lbs of compression, but the same on both cylinders. could a woodruff key slip throwing it out of time enough for the compression to drop or am I looking at a new top end, the spark on the front plug is yellow, and not blue. I would like to find a service manual on line I could download, or a way to find out how the timing marks line up. I am not very familiar with these mechanics, and could use some help. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I seriously doubt it jumped timing on the cam but I guess anything is possible. When you did the compression test did you open the carb all the way and crank then to get the compression and did you crank it long enough to get the highest reading, usually about 5-7 revolutions?

With high miles on the bike, it could be the rings worn and not giving you better compression but at 70 lbs, it would be a poor running engine. You didn't mention how the bike ran at all if it pulls decent.

As far as the manual, I'm sure the dealer could order you one. They should be available even yet for that bike.

With high mileage, I would suggest if it is an option for you to look into the engine rebuilding program and see if it applies to your motor through the dealer.

Engine Remanufacturing - Harley Davidson Community

Back to FXR's..........
Mine is a 1992 FXRS with about 135,000 miles on it. I say about, because I had a problem with the speedo cable breaking and probably put about 2K on it with no speedo. (Turned out the nut the cable went through on the back of the speedo had partially backed out- easy fix once discovered) It still has the original drive belt, clutch, brake rotors, engine mounts, paint, and so on. I didn't have any real problems with it til 50K when I had to replace the stator and voltage regulator. It has an EV13 cam, which is a wonderful cam for just waking up the Evo without hurting gas mileage, Crane lifters (two OEM lifters have failed, luckily without trashing the engine or oil pump), SE adj pushrods, SE air cleaner, and Dyno Power slip-on mufflers on stock headers with crossover. The base gaskets were replaced with James metal ones at 65K, along with new rings and head gaskets as long as it was apart. Torrington inside cam bearing, of course, and the tranny sprocket with the wider splines. Had to replace the starter clutch at 110K?, put in a solenoid rebuild kit sometime or other, probably other stuff that I can't remember right now.
I get 47 to 51 mpg, burn no noticeable amount of oil........
Almost forgot one of the best changes. After an idiot trashed my front forks with her uninsured car, I got Progressive fork springs and added their 411 shocks shortly after that. What a difference from stock! I thought it rode and handled well before, but it's a whole new bike these past few years with the Progressive suspension. And it's not a big expense, either, $90 or so for the fork springs and $170 or so for the shocks.
I have a National Cycles compact HD style windshield and Wild Willie saddlebags and a cheap but not bad-looking travel trunk on the luggage rack. It's definitely a touring machine and the stock seat is still comfortable for all day riding.
I think it's the overall best bike Harley ever made. I wouldn't dream of replacing it with a current Harley. With its cool-running Evo with the far superior twin tapered Timken main engine bearings, and the superior three point rubber engine mounts, this bike should still be going long after the disposable twinkies have all bit the dust.

Hey Glider, I am replacing the stator on my 1986 FXRS and I am stuck trying to remove the clutch basket/sprocket assembly. I have the nut off the transmission shaft, do I need to use a puller of some sort to get the assembly to release from the shaft?

Hey Glider, I am replacing the stator on my 1986 FXRS and I am stuck trying to remove the clutch basket/sprocket assembly. I have the nut off the transmission shaft, do I need to use a puller of some sort to get the assembly to release from the shaft?

You need a puller to remove the basket.

Here's a starter for the FXR group on the forum.

I have a 1986 fxrs, it was sitting in my garage for about 8 months, I had my hip replaced earlier this year and couldn't ride. When I start it up oils blows out of the breather coming up to the air cleaner. I changed the oil, filter, cleaned the screens, the check valve and check ball as well as bypassing the oil cooler. any ideas?

Back