free website stats program Lesson Learned | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lesson Learned

GroundHawg, I've sat here and for the life of can't figure out what a SO is......if you don't mind, please?
I think I had one for 38yrs, but not sure. :D
wilks3
:USA

WOW... I didn't know.....uummm...she was significant! I just knew I loved her alot!!!
...wife, right? Not the other toy? :s LOL!!!!!!! Oh boy, see reads this I'm toast!
wilks3
:USA

What I love about this site. Everyday something new to worry about. LOL. It is a great site and lots to learn. Ok so if you don't lock the bike, or if you do, but don't engage the security system will a dead fob battery still keep the bike from starting. Most of the time I forget to take my key with me anyway. BUT I will get a new battery today since I bought my 05 used. I did look in the manual and the PIN was never filled in on the card in the back.

Hmmm. I do have that fob security system that came with my Dyna in 2004. I have never used it once.

Perhaps we should be clear here. Does that previous security system function in much the same way as the newer system that you simply carry in your pocket?

The reason I ask is that it is my choice to initiate the '04 system. One of the new models I sat on at the dealership just had a small chrome cover mid-tank where the ignition switch used to be. When you get within 15 feet of the bike, you simply press the starter button.

Do these two diverse systems act the same?

(Sorry if this is a redundant question, guys. But like I said, I'm looking at new models. Frankly, at this point neither systems thrills me. For my useage, the idea presents more problems than features.)

What I love about this site. Everyday something new to worry about. LOL. It is a great site and lots to learn. Ok so if you don't lock the bike, or if you do, but don't engage the security system will a dead fob battery still keep the bike from starting. Most of the time I forget to take my key with me anyway. BUT I will get a new battery today since I bought my 05 used. I did look in the manual and the PIN was never filled in on the card in the back.

Not sure on the 05's but on my 07 yes it will keep the bike from starting. You can redo the pin anytime you want with whatever pin you desire, IF you have a working FOB.

Where I live you don't forget to leave the key in it very many times or the bike will be gone when you come back.

Hmmm. I do have that fob security system that came with my Dyna in 2004. I have never used it once.

Perhaps we should be clear here. Does that previous security system function in much the same way as the newer system that you simply carry in your pocket?

The reason I ask is that it is my choice to initiate the '04 system. One of the new models I sat on at the dealership just had a small chrome cover mid-tank where the ignition switch used to be. When you get within 15 feet of the bike, you simply press the starter button.

Do these two diverse systems act the same?

(Sorry if this is a redundant question, guys. But like I said, I'm looking at new models. Frankly, at this point neither systems thrills me. For my useage, the idea presents more problems than features.)

Someone can help you better on older or newer models. On my 07 the FOB has to be within so many feet (I believe 4 feet) of the bike for it to start. Otherwise if the bike is touched or moved, the flashers come on.

However one can trun the FOB system off, this is done when taking it in for service or tow. The owner's manual explains that scenario.

In fact both of you should check your model/year owner manual for details.

Not sure if I am wrong by doing so, or that I have a bike so old it does not apply -- BUT I never use my FOB. Only use the key to lock/unlock ignition and front forks. 2001 Heritage. I did get two FOB's with the bike and tried them when I got it - they worked fine - I just dont want to carry that thing around in my pocket. The little key works just fine.

Bill

I with you Billbo. I only use the key when I do lock it. I checked the owners manual for the 05 FLSTC and there are two options. Using the FOB button to arm, or there is an Auto-Arming feature. According to the charts and the key light on the speedo Auto Arming is not activated and will not be activated by me. Since I have been hundreds of miles from the FOB (with only my key) and the bike starts just fine, I have got to believe I won't get stranded. BUT I still think I will replace the battery today.

Back