free website stats program LeNale cooling fan vs Oil cooler | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

LeNale cooling fan vs Oil cooler

Thanks for the link NEWHD74FAN, and to the rest of all who replied. Especially glider for your input. I don't need a fancy horn cover to burn up my SE. Sorry to hear about your problem Smitty. No sale for me!!! TC

I have one on my bike. Comforting to know it is there to use if you get caught in heavy stop and go traffic. Just switch it on until you are out in the clear, and then shut it off. Blows quite a bit of air!!

Another fan cooling system I installed on my SEUC2. This is a two part system, the main cooler is enclosed with a fan in one end and blows across and out the other end. The other part is a fan behind the horn that blows across the cylinders but not as much as the HD parade fan so more even. I am running a Jim's 131 and so far working very well and have noticed oil temp drop running through town light to light from 245 down to 232. Very nice people do deal with and awsome install instructions. I installed the main cooler first which worked a little better than the HD unit but made a real difference after adding the top unit. This is from Enigma Concepts INc.

Well I came here on a search to find out about Lenale fans, which I did, one of the more longer threads and if you don't read it all the way to the end you won't get it. I probably will buy the fan.
But you know what really gets me about the whole cooling thing. All bikes will spend part of their life riding in crawling traffic and sitting at 3 min. red lights. And since the governments emission requirements have made it even harder on non fan cooled engines, why hasn't Harley Davidson stepped up and taken care of the problem as standard included OEM ? I mean it ain't like they are not charging enough for their bikes. This and no Oil pressure gauge as standard when even goofy little cars have this, is just amazing to me. It's like the dark ages back in the 60's when all cars had idiot lights only.
When I hear of many bikes needing a rebuild at 50,000 to 80,000 where cars routinely go over 150,000 I would think this obviously has something to do with it.

[As far as technology to help deal with the heat, the HD design does have a system that will deal with heat, it is call the ETIMS. It turns the rear cylinder off when a high heat is encountered. BTW my ETIMS has never once turned on. If it did, I would pull over to sit out the traffic. ]
Sorry guys with all due respect I don't call that heat management. That is more like disaster prevention. I don't want to have push my bike out of 6 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic nor would I want to have to pull out of slow ride like some patriot rider funerals are and which I plan to join. When my battery is strong I don't mind just turning it off when I first stop for very long but it is inconvenient.
I have heard my idle change at long red lights in the summer here in Florida. And the heat coming up off the heads is almost searing on my right leg after a minute and half, which is why I wanted to try the fan. But I can't help thinking that the life of your engine would be tied to the number of occurrences of heat scenarios. If it's not a big deal then why do police bikes have oil coolers and shriners have Lenale fans. That's my 2 cents worth.

[ The Tank wrote: I believe the engines are better than many people give them credit for. Their design is such that they will stand up to much more heat than some riders believe they will ]
Well I tend to think you are right, the only thing that got me somewhat paranoid is all the posts I've read on the net (not necessary this forum) that most bikes (rice burners included) don't last much longer than 50,000 miles. I'm not sure the validity of this data but it was disconcerting to me. I had 2 Hondas when I was in High School (that was during the last ice age) and 1 Triumph when I got out of the Army in 1972. Now as I near retirement I bought a Harley Street Bob after not riding for many years. I remember a story when I was younger about this guy having 200,000 miles on his Honda. I knew the guy and the bike but never questioned him about it. Have no idea if it was true. I have know for a fact of autos with over 200 (and even 300).

[ Another thing to consider for the summer heat or heavy duty use is to change the oil more frequently. Heat will breakdown the oil so in the summer or heavy duty use the I change every 2500 ]

This I totally agree with you. I use Amsoil synthetic, got a private dealer lives just up the road from me. I like to do things myself. I first asked the HD dealer how much for a 10,000 mile service and I almost fell over at the answer. I immediately walked over to the parts counter and bought the service and parts manuals both for just over $100 and that was the best money I have ever spent.
Thanks for the excellent information.

Back