free website stats program Leg Cramps | Harley Davidson Forums

Leg Cramps

AZDave

Does anyone else out there get right leg cramps after a nice ride over the weekend? I think mine are from braking, the wife says for me to eat more bananas.

When I was younger I went through a period where I was getting a lot of leg cramps, especially at night. I started eating Bananas every day. Now I very seldom get cramps. Plus they easily fit into an windsheild bagin case you need a quick snack.

Most problems come from controls not adjusted properly to fit YOU. What most guys do when they get a new bike that inadvertently think discomfort is caused by new bike. No, think about how ergonomics come into play when bicycling...properly fitted, your legs are extended (knees slightly bent), frame, reach, seat hieight and controls being key. Motorcycle is no different, pedals should be adjusted so the "reach" is almost natural, no cramping in the shins or calf areas, you would be amazed how much a 1/4" makes. Get those contros adjusted to you and it won't be a problem...that and be like Steve07 or Hobbit and upgrade a "bit"...install a cruise control or get a new Ultra and outfit it the way you want your set...its' always easy to help a rider out one HD at a time! :D

I used to have a lot of problem with leg cramps after i had a heart attack. Dr. told me to try 800 I.U. of Vitamin E a day, I have since then i have cut it down to 400 I.U. a day. But the leg cramps are gone.

I also get leg cramps. To help, I installed a Linbar highway bar so if I was getting a cramp while riding I somewhere to go with my feet and legs other then the mid controls on my FXDC.

Helped immensely. I also started doing the daily banana about two weeks ago, seems to be helping some but not all.

I'm going to also give that vitamin E a try. Here's a shot of the Linbar. Jimmy

Attachments

• P1030054.jpg
    P1030054.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 42
Highway pegs are a must for me. Switching leg positions (especially stretching out) on a long ride helps keep my legs from cramping. I think anytime you sit in 1 position for a long time you'll cramp up.

MOST RIDERS JUST RIDE.

NO THOUGHT GIVEN TO THE SIMPLE FACT DEHYDRATION....

IF YOU THINK ABOUT YOUR RIDE ON THE WEEKEND, I BET YOU DON'T TAKE IN MUCH LIQUID... IF YOU WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE THIRSTY,,,, YOU HAVE WAITED TOO LONG ESPECIALLY WHEN HOT OUT.

RIDING TAKES A LOT OF THE MOISTURE OUT OF YOUR BODY!!!

JUST PLAIN WATER WORKS AND THE BANANA IS ANOTHER GOOD IDEA.

STAY AWAY FROM THE SODAS AND COFFEE.........WATER!

signed....BUBBIE

I sometimes get a cramp more in my hip area than leg. It usually happens when I strech my leg out then return to the footboard. Sometimes when I put my foot down at a stop. It can be a real ouch. :bigsmiley15:

OK, to sum it up we've covered bananas, hydration, and properly adjusted controls.

I would add stretching and/or shifting your position around whenever possible. Highway pegs or bars and a backrest really help in this area. It's possible to get a really good stretch even when blasting along at highway speeds by totally flexing your knees and ankles slowly in both directions a couple times. Do some deeper stretches when you're stopped for gas or bathroom breaks.

Back