free website stats program Left turn signal not working/turn signal module | Harley Davidson Forums

Left turn signal not working/turn signal module

I have a 1991 Harley Heritage Softail Classic. Has anyone ever had a turn signal module go bad??

I have a '91 Dyna, and yes, I had the module go out on me. On inspection, it looked partially melted or burned. But before you go spend about a hundred dollars (HD, get it!!), make sure that both bulbs on that side are OK. When one bulb goes, the indicator and the other bulb should stay on steady when you try that side turn signal. If both bulbs are out, I am not sure what happens. Check them though. That is the cheapest fix!!

TQ

No LOL see all the lights work except the left turn signal and it will work periodically when I mess with the light bulb. All bulbs are good and cleaned out all the sockets. All connections look good. Any ideas??? Do I need to clean the pins on the turn signal module???

Last edited:
You can pretty much determine if the module is faulty by following the troubleshooting steps outlined in the manual. If you don't have a manual, then have a look at the TS module and hopefully the pins are labled. If you apply 12 vdc to the (Lt out) pin -the Left turn signal lights should come on. (you've just bypassed the TSM) Next.. connect a jumper from (Lt in)pin to (Lt out) pin & press the Left turn signal switch. If Left lights come on then the switch is OK. Hope that helps. It could be that your TSM if faulty and just by coincidence it started working when you were messing around the bulb socket. Had that happen to me. Cheers & beers. Lips

Actually quite easy to have an intermittant turn signal, as lamp socket connections can get corroded...moisture + two dissimilar metals = battery (material and electrical transfer). Check the lamp socket contacts, the solder connection (bulb "nub" and base) along with wiring on back (including the tail light/license light assemblies. Common for water and abrasion to cut through the insulation and turn copper wire green. Clean with knife or file, and put on dielectric grease to resist water intrusion and corrosion of all electrical connections. Auto parts store or HD dealer has it in stock.

Back