free website stats program Left Rear Turn Signal Not Workin' | Harley Davidson Forums

Left Rear Turn Signal Not Workin'

JRBMan

I have a bone stock 2009 FLSTSB (Crossbones) and noticed that the left rear turn signal is not working. Not a bulb issue as it is still good. Pulled everything apart and cleaned all connectors, shot all the wires and they are good. It is only the left rear that does not work. Thoughts? Faulty Turn Signal Module?

Probably not the module if the front left turn signal is working. Do you happen to have a running light/brake light conversion kit installed.

Have you checked for any bXXX DTC codes using a WOW test?

No lighting conversion kits installed, haven't checked codes but don't think it kicked any. Will check tonight. Thx.

Have you checked the ground for that lamp? Also, check the socket with the turn signal on. Pull the bulb and use your meter to see if the wire is powered.

No lighting conversion kits installed, haven't checked codes but don't think it kicked any. Will check tonight. Thx.

So you do have front turn signals & the front left turn signal works fine. I ask because some guys remove them or convert them to LED. More detail helps.

The front left works fine. Only thing not working is the rear. everything checks out good so far...even the bulb. Still shooting.

In your first post you said all wires are good. If you have checked the ground wire continuity from the turn signal housing to the frame, and it is good, then the only thing left is to start tracing the B+ from the turn signal back.

Find the closest plug to the turn signal and unplug it. Check continuity from there back to the turn signal. Repeat this to each successive connector back to the module.

Probably have a bad pin or socket in one of the plugs.

Take care,
Dave
WAP.gif

everything checks out good so far

Try this.
The left rear turn light socket should have 2 wires. A Violet wire and a Black wire.
The left front turn signal socket should have 3 wires. A Blue,, a Violet & a Black wire.

Remove both the rear left turn signal bulb and the front left turn signal bulb.

With Key OFF. Using a meter check for continuity from the Front Violet wire to the Rear violet wire. You should read near 0 ohms.
Now check the front Black wire to the rear Black wire. Should also be near Zero ohms. Now check each black to frame ground. This reading should be near Zero also.
I have a feeling that the violet to violet check will read infinity.

If you read infinity somewhere, check under the rear fender for a possible cut wire from the rear tire hitting cable harness.

Did you check the left rear bulb with a meter or did you swap bulb to the other side to see if it lights and is known good.

Okay fellas, got it fixed! Turns out I had a mangled wire at the socket. Contact enough when continuity was checked, but not enought to pass power. Thanks again for all the inputs!

Back