free website stats program LED Turnsignals | Harley Davidson Forums

LED Turnsignals

wxflyer

Thanks to all for some great posts. I've been "lurking", getting alot of ideas and learning. Now for a question:

I'm looking at the Custom Dynamics license plate frame w/running lights/turn signals. I can't post the link, but it's called the "Quad LED license plate Frame".

Anybody have this or seen it? I'd like an alternative to the OEM turnsignals on my 07 Streetbob....would this be a good replacement? Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jw

Last edited:
I think what you are referring to is this, which is manufactured by Kuryakan with LED tail light (blackout shown) w/ LED turn signals attached separately, to their license bracket. I use the LED tail light and turn signals, but all separately, and laydown license frame ABOVE the taillight that work great. I have not used the bracket with license plate below as shown:

12012_kur_9156_tt_h_pu.jpg

Do not believe it is actually bright/conspicuous enough (I think turn signals have to be farther apart also) in order to replace the DOT approved OEM turn signals. I'd keep the OEM taillight/turnsignal assemblies just in case. Check and see if any part of the reflector bezel has DOT approval number, if not don't get them.

Likely they do not pass Highway Patrol or DOT requirements, so could not recommend them...fixit tickets cost $$$$

Do not believe it is actually bright/conspicuous enough (I think turn signals have to be farther apart also) in order to replace the DOT approved OEM turn signals. I'd keep the OEM taillight/turnsignal assemblies just in case. Check and see if any part of the reflector bezel has DOT approval number, if not don't get them.

Likely they do not pass Highway Patrol or DOT requirements, so could not recommend them...fixit tickets cost $$$$

I am keeping the taillight, well switching to a laydown DOT approved one. The turn signals are far enough apart that I will have no issues. I also live in Florida so they are very lax on these things. My last bike I had the break and turn signal indicators done with leds in the rear sets and never had an issue. They are much more visible then you think. I was amazed at how obvious they were when riding behind the bike. Either way I keep all factory parts so the bike can go back to stock when I sell it if the new owner wants it that way.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I'll keep the stock setup for now with an LED kit to brighten things up...I do like the Progressive LEDs though.

I have an '06 SB. I installed the LED taillamp, laid down license frame and the turn signals in the rear I installed the red LED bulbs and yellow ones in front. I also installed the flash device to flash my tail lamp and turn signal lamps a few times when hitting the brakes. The rear turns now function with the taillamp. I ride a lot of nights home from work and a little visability makes me feel like I am seen. All my items I got from Kuryakin. You can change the way the device plugs in to just make the turns work like the tail lamp. You can have the three lamps flash when first activated or you can have them come on solid. Easy mod. fits under the seat, plugs in under the seat.

Welcome RickyB and thank you for sharing the details. I also like the LED tail lamp and turn signal running lamp setup by Kuryakyn. One side note, when backing out of a parking space at night, the extra bright rear LED lights allow you to see directly behind you easier as an unexpected benefit as well.

Thanks for the welcome. Yah know I lived in Camarillo for 6 years on Las Posas in Navy housing when I was stationed at Pt. Mugu. That is a really nice place to live and you can't beat the weather either. I see you have a sporty and I rode one when I lived there. It was a real old 1958 model H. Red and white. I had bought it from someone moving PCS and I sold it after I got a heritage.
I have to figure on how to get a pic of my current bike, a Street Bob up. I have done a lot of bolt on changes, most notably the bars. I have Carlini fat drag bars with about a 7" built in riser. It allowed me to install all the wiring in them and cleaned up the front a lot. I also mounted the stock front turn signals on the forks with a 49mm kit. I have the led bulbs in the stock housings.
I ride a lot at night from leaving work at 1AM. I will take a peek at how much light is there as I leave tonight. I never paid much attention other than the extra LEDs of the turn signals. I really am sort of skittish I suppose, but I also have reflective decals on my helmet. The helmet is white and in the daytime you don't see the decals, but light hitting them at night lights them right up.

312600300.jpg

Last edited:
Back