free website stats program LED turn signal modification | Harley Davidson Forums

LED turn signal modification

FLHRYNF

On a RK the turn signal indicators are on the tank console which requires looking down to see if the signal is blinking. No big deal, however, I am contemplating a simple mod.

I was thinking about adding a single amber LED onto the backside of the front turn signal chrome dome (back of the yellow pancake turn signal which is mounted directly below the driving light). To put it in the simplest terms: drill hole; install 5mm LED fixture; tap into signal wiring (inside fixture) to tie in LED and appropriate resistor.

My theory is that the installed LED facing me will blink and, being amber, would serve as an added signal for cagers in the lane next to me. LED's have come a long way and brightness would be more than a blinking dot of light.

What's the downside in terms of today' TSSM equiped bikes? I've read some pretty complex replies on this forum from members who really seem to know the TSSM/ECM systems. I look forward hearing from them!

Sounds like a good idea, in my understanding of the issue there would be no problem adding a led to the circut. The only time you need to be concerned is when you take out the incandecent bulb because the TSSM can tell when the amperage draw is down (a bulb burned out) and it blinks faster as a warning. If you take all the incandecents out the TSSM can be damaged if the same current draw isn't mimicked by the load equalizers. Let us see how it turns out.
Harley.

I did something similar on the rear of my '07. I got some led's designed for trailer side markers. Each had 6 leds with a sticky back. I stuck them on my saddle bags, and tied the wires into the turn signal plug in under the tail light. The signals flashed properly, everything worked ok. I didn't like the look on my bags so I took them off. I like your idea, don't chip your chrome when drilling.

What's the downside in terms of today' TSSM equiped bikes? I've read some pretty complex replies on this forum from members who really seem to know the TSSM/ECM systems. I look forward hearing from them!

I would think none. Your not replacing a tungsten bulb with LED. Your just adding an LED on top of the Tungsten. That extra 15ma of current should be invisible to the TSSM circuitry. The system should not even know it's there.

I'm gonna do this mod also. How do you drill the chrome light housing without damaging/chipping the chrome?

Went to Radio Shake yesterday and bought 2 LED's with plasic housings w/ washer & nuts and lead wires... just about any color of blub you want. I bought red ones. $ 1.99 each. I haven't them yet but should be a piece of cake...need to get a solding iron left mine in Ca. As far as drilling start small and keep go up to dia. of bulb housing. shouldn't be a problem.

I'm hearing to drill very slowly is important also. I guess we have to figure out how to make a good long lasting seal too. Maybe a rubber washer or two? Heat may be an issue to consider, Any thoughts?

LED mounting bases made out of nylon or neoprene should be fine, just accurate hole diameter so grommet is not distorted and when installing LED from backside, is an interference fit. Should be a piece of cake, may want to use a small reamer to size the hole exactly round with no burrs.

Last edited:
Thanks, I've been bouncing ideas around in my head for this for a while now. This should be a clean, durable and economical solution. Now to decide on the color and style of the led's so I don't cheese up the looks any!:reyes

Back