free website stats program LED lighting system | Harley Davidson Forums

LED lighting system

Matt0987

For those of you considering the LED lighting system. I want to tell you my observations.

I went for a ride last night on my new 2011 FLHRC. I just picked it up yesterday. I had the LED main light and passing lights installed on it before delivery.

Admittedly I am “new” to riding. I gave up the bikes when I had two young girls and a third child one the way. That was over 20 years ago. So, today’s technology is new to me. It may be that the stock headlight may have the same issues of this LED system. I do not know. But, here is what I observed during my ride with this new LED system.

As I drove down the road last night it performed as expected. The low beam, especially with the passing lights on, provides a tremendous amount of light right where you want it. Need it, really. The high beam does disconnect the passing lights and there is a definite need for them to continue to flood the area immediately in front of the bike. I am going to have to investigate this further and see how I can make the decision mine rather than the bike's.

The reason for taking the time to write this thread is because of one issue in particular.

In a car with halogen or HID lighting there is a horizontal “cut off” line at the top of the beam. The idea being to provide as much light as possible without bothering oncoming drivers. A good idea. The car, being on 4 contact points with the ground (hopefully) maintains this cut off line, generally, horizontal to the road.

What I learned last night is that as I drove on a mountain road I, of course, lean into the turns. By doing so the horizontal line dips to the right or left depending on the turn. The road above the line is lost. My eyes were adjusted to the illumination of the light and I was not able to see the road ahead. The area beyond the beam cut off line.

In “the old days” my bike headlights threw light everywhere. To the sides, onto the ground, the road ahead, the trees above. Everywhere. When I would go into a turn and lean the bike the light that would, normally, be illuminating the tree branches now illuminated the road ahead.

I tried both the high beam and the low. Wondering if the high beam might lead the bike better as it was in a turn. It does not.

Again, all modern lights may have this cut off line at the top of the beam. I do not know. I have the factory light but have not used it. On my previous bikes, though they had halogen lights, they did not have the cut off to the beam and so this was not an issue.

Just a heads up to those considering the LED light system.

Welcome Matt, You wrote a very informative description of the LED Lights. Thank-You. Welcome back to the saddle, I hope you enjoy your new ride as much as my wife & I have ours. We have similar riding backgrounds, I parked & did not ride for 28 years for child rearing time.... Got back in the saddle in 2007 on a new sportster & traded up in '09 to our Heritage... My wife is the one that brought up the idea that maybe we should get another bike.... I Love that Woman!! :D

Matt

Great write up but are you referring to the HID lights when you say LED?

Actualy no. HID is on it's way out. This is new technology that uses LEDs for it's light source. Same amount of light, same white color, but without the additional electronics. It is plug and play. No additional electrical componants or wireing. Take the trim off, unplug the factory light, plug in the LED light, replace the trim, adjust the beam direction if needed.

I would give you the link to the H-D web page but i am too new here to add a link to my message. I have to do one or two more replies. Search for LED light. Then click "Play vdeo" and watch the video. It is pretty impressive.

Matt

Thanks for the reply and the explanation too. WOW $524, that's a bit pricy.

73390_10_M_26a97.jpg

hd_spacer_e204.gif
hd_spacer_e204.gif
hd_spacer_e204.gif
btn_zoom_1dc10.gif
btn_playvideo_26397.gif
hd_spacer_e204.gif
hd_spacer_e204.gif

LED Headlamp and Auxiliary Lamps | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

I don't imagine that will be a fast mover at that price with the additional $4 bills for the passing lights.

I'll stick with the 80/100 halogen bulb for $13 :D

Great spread of light!Seeing as how the high beam picked out that deer,i'm wondering if that cost may not be all that high anyhow.Food for thought--?

Especially as part no.73391-10A can be had on ebay for USD $434.95(look up 651lance)
That's quite a bit cheaper than stock.

Back