free website stats program Leaving the stock world | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Leaving the stock world

Ha ha – sorry about the thread title. I didn’t really think about it until after I had posted it. That makes it sound as if I am leaving the stock-trading world.

I can understand why people make changes right away but I wanted to wait and see what it was like just stock. My lady was outside and heard me approaching (not knowing it was me). She said it sounds too much like a scooter and not enough like a motorcycle. I couldn’t argue with that.

At the dealership we listened to a bike with V & H Big Shot Duals and that was too loud for both of us. Plus they had pitch we did not like. When the parts guy fired up the Monster Ovals her eyes lit up and she smiled and said she really liked those. Again, no argument from me.

Cams and other mods will have to wait a while. I pretty much blew my bike budget for now.

Hah...pretty funny when your gal tells you that HD does not sound like a motorcycle...:roflThink someone had a signature line that said "Let them hear you coming"... Better get that fixed pronto! :s

An update on the upgrades …… All of the parts have now arrived.

The mufflers came last Friday and I put them on Sunday and went for a spin. I do like the sound and can’t wait to hear them with the true duals. It is amazing to me that with the stock pipe set-up about 90% of the exhaust comes out the right side. What a waste.

The plan is to strip it down on Thursday and put on the Air Cleaner kit and the Power Commander. I have to get gaskets so installing the head pipes will have to wait until Friday.

You should get in the cam chest and change out the spring style chain tensioners. You have a choice of gear drive cams or hydraulic tensioners.
kemo

This is VERY good advice for your bike. I'd definately do the tensioner upgrade, even if you don't change cams out.

Have fun!

Here's my two cents, how about a screaming paint job, a radio caddy fairing, a custom seat from LePera in metalflake, some color match powder coating on metal parts, bag extenders and a killer set of wheels.

.....can't blame you for wanting to do the upgrades....made a huge difference in my 06 Ultra Classic.....PC-3, true duals, basinni slip ons, intake mod.....dyno showed a gain of 10 HP....
I've had to retighten the exhaust headers twice since install and shop tech once over....also had to retighten all the heat sheild clamps again....not a big deal, probably something I'll be doing every month or so.
Keep the shiney side up.
Tom

Change – 1, I am going to strip it down on Friday and install the PC and the Air Cleaner Kit. The head pipes have to wait until Sunday. I need to get the gaskets and the local dealership does not have them in stock. I called their parent dealership in Tucson and they have them. I will be there this weekend for a youth soccer tournament and I am staying in a hotel right next door. How convenient. I wonder how that happened? Ha ha.

Overall, I will do some minor mods as “needed” but nothing major for a while. For these parts I shopped around and saved $426. That is just on the parts. I ordered on-line, each vendor had free shipping, and I paid zero sales tax. I am also saving a bundle on labor by doing the wrenching myself.

Trike Lady – I have considered some type of fairing so I have an instrument cluster, just not sure on that yet. I like the look of the wire-spoke wheels. Besides, with the hard bags you can’t see the rear wheel anyway.

My Lady and I chose white as our “blank canvas”. We have some ideas to promote our causes (Breast Cancer awareness, POW/MIA, etc) and will use the bike to get the word out. We will add some graphics as time goes on.

Tom-T-Bone – I have no doubt I will have to check the torque a few times as everything settles in. Hopefully the thread locker will reduce that need.

Back