free website stats program Leaving the stock world | Harley Davidson Forums

Leaving the stock world

Weeg

I bought my 06 Road King used in Oct of 09. I planned to wait about a year before making any modifications and here we are. I have always wanted to at least add slip on mufflers to change the sound from stock. Of course, I am going just a bit farther following the concept of “while I am at it I may as well …...”.

Over the last few days I have ordered V & H Monster Ovals, V & H Dresser Dual head pipes, K & N Air Cleaner Kit (larger element), and a Power Commander III-USB.

We went to the local dealership and listened to some exhaust/muffler combinations and my Lady (passenger) loved the monster ovals.

I will update you with before and after sound bites, pictures, etc after I get everything installed.

You should get in the cam chest and change out the spring style chain tensioners. You have a choice of gear drive cams or hydraulic tensioners.
kemo

Weeg, sounds like great selections. Enjoy the upgraded ride!

I love the sound of the Monstor Ovals also; just wished they had them when I bought my bike.

Don't know what to say about waiting so long to upgrade. I said the same thing about my first bike. That lasted about 1 1/2 weeks.

Welcome to the world of wrenching on your bike, It never stops LOL, just so many good products out there:s

Your title made me think I was going to read about a career change due to the lousy economy. I was glad to see it was for bike upgrades. :small3d023:

Ha ha – sorry about the thread title. I didn’t really think about it until after I had posted it. That makes it sound as if I am leaving the stock-trading world.

I can understand why people make changes right away but I wanted to wait and see what it was like just stock. My lady was outside and heard me approaching (not knowing it was me). She said it sounds too much like a scooter and not enough like a motorcycle. I couldn’t argue with that.

At the dealership we listened to a bike with V & H Big Shot Duals and that was too loud for both of us. Plus they had pitch we did not like. When the parts guy fired up the Monster Ovals her eyes lit up and she smiled and said she really liked those. Again, no argument from me.

Cams and other mods will have to wait a while. I pretty much blew my bike budget for now.

Deleted above by BUBBIE

Cams and other mods will have to wait a while. I pretty much blew my bike budget for now.

I would Strongly Recommend IF you haven't,,,, At Least Look at the shoes.... Not that much more work While You Have the Exhaust getting ready to put on...

Lots of Help with it Here on HDT.com and more in Self Help area.

signed....BUBBIE

I have the monster ovals and k&n on my 09 ultra, the sound gets better and better as the miles rack up on them. Good choice IMO.

Just with those three bolt on up grades you are going to notice a big difference in throttle response and with the proper map on the PCIII a nice gain in Hp & Torque...The '06 88s have good flowing heads,this will really wake her up!....enjoy

Back