Leathers

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by fireguyq, Mar 6, 2014.

1. fireguyq

fireguyq Member

I am going to buy a leather jacket. I went to Langlitz Leathers in Portland last week. I really like their stuff and ever since I started riding in high school, I wanted one of their jackets. I want the Columbia. But, it is $1390.00, with options $1875.00! Gauntlet gloves are $100.00. Plus my girlfriend's Langlitz has shrunk (?) and I will be paying to have the alterations done.

http://www.langlitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/columbia_2.jpg

I don't want an import $169.95 jacket. I have looked at Fox Creek, Hillside USA, & Schott Leather. Those are in the $650.00 to $1050.00 range.

What weight leather should I look at, goat, cow, horse? Armour? Brass zippers or Nylon? Any other suggestions?

2. FerrousBueller

FerrousBueller Junior Member

I like my local shop, small, Mom and Pop kinda place. I have one custom made for me jacket and another off the rack, (with alterations and a couple of patches).

The custom jacket cost a little more than half of your base "Columbia". Don't remember the cost of the other jacket. I also have a pair of their chaps. They suited my desires, didn't care about the cost.

They can be found here: Just Leather 2370 Stevens Creek Blvd. San Jose Ca. 95128 408-286-3450

Yes, they will ship to you.

Cheers!
    Ferrous

3. hillbilly81

hillbilly81 Active Member

The Schott horsehide is hard to beat and Fox Creek has some good stuff too

4. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Fox Creek is first rate stuff. Very heavy duty, customer service is great. I have years of great service from multiple products from them. I wouldn't go anywhere else at this point. FWIW, I would stay away from a nylon zipper. Armor is a personal thing IMO. Good luck in your search.

5. 01 rk

01 rk Active Member

Fox Creek makes quality products, I have one of their jackets, my wife just bought one, very well made, the price was around $350.
    Check out Walter Dyer their products are top shelf also, have one of their jackets going on 30years.

6. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I bought mine at a motorcycle show outside Atlanta 5 years ago. Probably only medium quality leather/zippers, etc. but it came with a liner, keeps me warm, has lasted 5 years+, and cost me less than $150!

7. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

+1 on Fox Creek, especially the gauntlet gloves. My Jacket is HD, a very well made one, works for me.

8. turnup

turnup Member

+1 here on the Fox Creek. Have several of their products. Just love the jacket I got from them a couple of years ago.

9. Trek

Trek Junior Member

++1 on Fox Creek Leather. I have a jacket as well as my wife. Great quality and service. The best part is made in the U.S.A.

10. hillbilly81

hillbilly81 Active Member

Trek hit the nail on the head...MADE IN THE USA