free website stats program Leather Jackets | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Leather Jackets

I'm 55 years old. Bought my first Harley in August (FatBob). Bought my FIRST leather at the same time. Always rode with a blue jean jacket back 30 years ago. I will never ride without my leather again. I live in Michigan, matter of fact it's suppose to be 70 tommorrow. I've riden to work in the morning when it's been 37 degrees a few days ago and the leather keeps all the cold out. I'm really amazed at the comfort. Like I said, never own one. I won't be without one now. I love it. Plus it makes me look COOL.

Most people think that bikers wear leather jackets to look cool, but that is not the case. Wearing leather is a form of protection if you are to get into an accident. I have seen guys that have saved themself a lot of roadburn from wearing leather durning an accident. Do you wear leather?

Yes, but I live and ride every day (weather permitting) in the Houston area. So my leather jacket wearing days are from about late November to late March/early April.

I bought my jacket in the mid-1990's. It is made here in the USA by Kerr Leathers (Kerr's Leather). They make a high quality product and stand behind it. If you ever have a problem with their jackets, call them and I am sure they will ask you to send it back so they can fix it. I wore out the lining through much abuse, and they asked me to send it back so they could replace it - gratis!! The leather on this jacket is thick, and it feels like it weighs about half a cow. A little saddle soap when it gets real bug splattered, and it is good to go! Cost me about the same as a set of pipes.

TQ

Have the new HD Road Warrior jacket w/hoodie. Hoodie is about worthless! Buy a real one to replace. The Road warrior has zippered vents at the cuffs, chest and back with a few internal compartments. Works great and protects. I don't wear leather in summer, just to hot up here, mostly for winter and cold weather riding. You should always dress for the crash, not the ride! For me, it's weather permiting. Nothing like good chaps and a jacket to keep the wind and cold, out!

I'm a believer in wearing leather. wrecked in "03" because an overloaded coal truck decided to drive on a narrow back road. his rig destroyed the pavement in a hairpin curve. hit one of the ruts he left in the roadway,bike stopped and I took a flight over the handlebars. broke seven ribs and lacerated my spleen. my leather jacket sure saved my hide and my helmet saved the old noggin. NEVER RIDE WITHOUT THE LEATHER !

I don't wear a leather when its warm, only on cooler days and in the evening,meaning the way the weather was this summer in Ontario I wore it almost every day. That said I Don't wear a leather to look cool, I wear a leather to keep the cold winds away and I don't think about crashing I always figured that if you think about that kind of stuff you won't enjoy yourself as much.

Leather is forever if cared for it works for cold ,wind and looks great . Buy the good stuff and it holds up well.
And if you happen to do the slide it will protect well

I second smitty's comment. I also have to add that some armour is a good idea.
You can also have different weights jackets for different seasons and if you have a well designed jacket with ventilation it doesn't get too hot (while riding anyway).

Back