free website stats program Leather covered saddlebags on RK Classic - Waterproof? | Harley Davidson Forums

Leather covered saddlebags on RK Classic - Waterproof?

bobalu

For those with a Road King Classic having the leather covered hard saddle bags.....

Do you waterproof the leather at all? How does the leather hold up after riding through a few rain storms?

I have just been using the HD brand leather treatment cream stuff but have not yet been caught in a downpour. It's more of a leather conditioner than a waterproofing treatment. I'm just wondering if I should be using some specific leather waterproofing stuff on them or not.

Any input or advice?

thanks!

bobalu.

I have LeatherneckJims throwover leather bags with studs and conchos and though I do garage my Harley...I ride in whatever weather mother natures throws at me during the ride. The reason I chose leather is because it breathes and drys naturally if garaged overnight and porous enough that the nylon liner bags isolate any contents from water damage (I just reach in and pull out the liners by the handles and they are unloaded). I use Lexol Leather Conditioner on all my leather surfaces to preserve them from sun and weather exposure. A little Mink Oil will make it waterproof if I am going for a real long trip where rain is eminent, a few weeks before.:D

I use Harley leather conditioner comes in a little plastic tub, rub it in let it soak and buff dry works well and seems to be waterproof. My bike is a 99 and that is all I have used and they still look almost new.

When I bought my 06 RK, I went to a Tack shop (horse supply). Figured they sold those expensive saddles and they would know what works on leather. Got some cleaner and a bottle of conditioner. Both were about $15. Lasted forever, or until I crashed it last year... Anyway, don't remember the brands, but it is another option for you to consider.

The HD treatment was always a little greasy for my taste, but that is my opinion only. My bags went through countless downpours and looked fine. The bags are really well made. With a little TLC, they'll last forever. Good luck. :bigsmiley12:

Back