free website stats program Leather Care Products | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Leather Care Products

I find for coats and chaps or leather pants good old mink oil works best, waterproofs and makes leather more supple.

Hey I Was Wondering What To Use On My Boots If Anything. My Left Boot Is Pretty Scratched/cut Up From The Shifter Peg. Its Looking Pretty Bad. Any Suggestions.

Now we are into some thing I have had success at. The flexibility of leather comes from the oil in the leather. The curing process of raw hide to leather takes the oil out of the skin. It has to be returned with a synthetic oil like Neets Foot Oil. The first word is spelled more than one way by whom ever bottles it. It is a clear amber liguied light oil that is used to coat finished leathers. If your jacket, chaps, etc. is getting the dry feeling, still feeling then coat it with this oil. It will be absorbed into the leather and return the flexibility of the leather like new. A pint bottle is around five bucks and can coat a lot of leather. Then you need a top coat and here is where I don't bother as my leather isn't ever used as a rain suit. Up north they may get rained on often. Then I would simply use Harley's products. Fossil

Hey I Was Wondering What To Use On My Boots If Anything. My Left Boot Is Pretty Scratched/cut Up From The Shifter Peg. Its Looking Pretty Bad. Any Suggestions.

Back when I rode dirt bikes I used Mink oil on my Alpine Stars. Worked great.
Made them waterproof.
I use the HD stuff on my leather couch as well as my saddle. It works well.

Here's my input.

I tried the complimentary leather care product from the dealer (leather dressing 98261-91V made by Pecard Chemical).
It comes in the small flat jar like shoe polish comes in. It is tan in color and I tried it on my bags and wasn't impressed at all with the product. Some work to apply and buff of and the results weren't worth the effort.
HDleathercare.jpg

Then I found a product called Leather New.Easy to use, no buffing required and it made the bags look new again. Leaves a sheen to the leather and cleans as you use it. It's a liquid glycerin saddle soap that treats and softens the leather. I'm stuck on this product now.
Leathernew.jpg

I have also found that a product called "lexol" works well also.

lexol.gif

Glider will this work on chaps also or should you use something else for chaps and leather jackets:dknow

I personally like to use mink oil for its waterproofing effects. Lexol is a good conditioner as well, but I don't feel it is as effective for repelling water if you frequently ride in wet weather or have a saddle leather seat.

Back