free website stats program Leather Braids off Brake Lever? | Harley Davidson Forums

Leather Braids off Brake Lever?

CaptCrash

I've recently noticed riders with long braided leather cords hanging off their front brake levers. I even saw on that dragged on the ground in right hand turns. I've seen fringe before but these are like 24-36 inches in length and seem to slip over the lever itself...

I know it's a noob question but--what's up with that?

(Seems like if it got caught on something it would grab a big handful you wouldn't want grabbed...)

If it's what I've seen , it's a whip. There are clubs here in new Orleans that show there colors with them. They do look like they can get tangled or hit you while riding.

You need to check your local laws before you use them. Here in Ca. they are starting to crack down on people who use them. They consider them a weapon. You can use them if they are bolted to the hand lever where it can't be removed while riding.

You need to check your local laws before you use them. Here in Ca. they are starting to crack down on people who use them. They consider them a weapon. You can use them if they are bolted to the hand lever where it can't be removed while riding.

Being an oddball, I was thinking you could really crash someone by grabbing it and giving it a yank...never thought of it as an offensive weapon.

With a quick downward pull, the biker whip can be released quickly in case of "emergency."

Wonder what emergency they are talking about. I bet it has nothing to do with a fast "side of the road" skipping contest.

I used to see them all the time. I think the fad wore out. The last ones I saw were on a Honda VTX. They were mostly for older or retro bikes. There was fringe on everything, seat, saddlebags, you name it.
Another thing I don't see much of any more is white grips. In fact I can't remember seeing them for a long time. :)

Back