free website stats program Leather Bag/Tour Pack Strap Repair | Harley Davidson Forums

Leather Bag/Tour Pack Strap Repair

Bud White

Retired Moderators
Today while out riding we stopped for fuel and i opened tour pack .. well when i went to close it the buckle on the opposite strap i was locking fell off the Rivet HD uses lost the head ..:bigsmiley19:

100_0587_00-1.jpg

100_0588_00-1.jpg

100_0590_00-1.jpg

100_0591_00-1.jpg

So i ran down to the hard ware store tonight to find something and found these aluminum screws and buttons i guess you would call them .. Not quite perfect as i will need to add a washer to take up space .. but its same size as harley rivet so i didn't think i would have space ..

These are shiny had to dull down so pics weren't blown out

100_0592_00-1.jpg

100_0593_00-1.jpg

100_0595_00-1.jpg

100_0597_00-1.jpg

100_0601_00-1.jpg

As ya see need a filler washer ..Also dont forget Blue Loctite

Cost for 6 of these just under 4$ enough to do all the straps on tour pack and bags..

Last edited:
Good call Bud, I like those aluminum screw socket/hardware because it is an easy repair and not as "cheesy" as the rivets. Used them in leatherwork for belts and buckle hardware. :newsmile106:

You guys are great remembering all this stuff...forgot I did the deed once without the blue loctite and LOST the hardware and did the repair twice! :bigsmiley19:

Nothing gets past the all seeing and all knowing...:newsmile090:

They are called Chicago Screws. They are used on leather tack for horses. Bridles, halters, saddles etc. They come in handy. I used them on a set of saddle bags on my Sportster when some of the rivets pulled out of the top that fastened to the back of the bag. I have fixed a lot of different items with them.

Tim

Chicago Screws...hmmm...looks like a job for Wikipedia to straighten this controversy out...wonder if this was invented before Mrs. O'Leary' cow kicked over the kerosene lamp because she broke a rivet fastener on her harness? :D

Back