Leather Bag/Tour Pack Strap Repair

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Bud White, May 30, 2009.

1. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

Today while out riding we stopped for fuel and i opened tour pack .. well when i went to close it the buckle on the opposite strap i was locking fell off the Rivet HD uses lost the head ..:bigsmiley19:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So i ran down to the hard ware store tonight to find something and found these aluminum screws and buttons i guess you would call them .. Not quite perfect as i will need to add a washer to take up space .. but its same size as harley rivet so i didn't think i would have space ..

These are shiny had to dull down so pics weren't blown out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As ya see need a filler washer ..Also dont forget Blue Loctite

Cost for 6 of these just under 4$ enough to do all the straps on tour pack and bags..

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  2. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Good call Bud, I like those aluminum screw socket/hardware because it is an easy repair and not as "cheesy" as the rivets. Used them in leatherwork for belts and buckle hardware. :newsmile106:

3. Bud White

I guess that would work .. i dont have anything like them on my chaps

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

Might want to apply a drop of blue locktite to the threads. :s

5. Bud White

been there done that all ready forgot it in my post ... gonna replace the rest of them to ..

6. NEWHD74FAN

You guys are great remembering all this stuff...forgot I did the deed once without the blue loctite and LOST the hardware and did the repair twice! :bigsmiley19:

Nothing gets past the all seeing and all knowing...:newsmile090:

7. dakota_dj

dakota_dj Member

They are called Chicago Screws. They are used on leather tack for horses. Bridles, halters, saddles etc. They come in handy. I used them on a set of saddle bags on my Sportster when some of the rivets pulled out of the top that fastened to the back of the bag. I have fixed a lot of different items with them.

Tim

1 person likes this.
  8. NEWHD74FAN

Chicago Screws...hmmm...looks like a job for Wikipedia to straighten this controversy out...wonder if this was invented before Mrs. O'Leary' cow kicked over the kerosene lamp because she broke a rivet fastener on her harness? :D

9. glider

glider Veteran Member

Chicago Screws, that's what they are called. Seen enough of them on my wifes tack to know.:D

10. NEWHD74FAN

Glider - talking about the wife's tack hmmm:newsmile065: