free website stats program Learning to ride again with..... | Harley Davidson Forums

Learning to ride again with.....

Gold4484

Contributor
a new leg or foot? I don't know if anyone here has lost a leg and continued to ride after healing. Just curious as to what problems I have to look out for. Pretty tough when all of a sudden your riding days have to stop for a bit. Lost my lower leg and foot on my left side last week, and I can't wait to get back on my ride. My loss happened from infection from simple surgery that turned sour.As I said, just curious if anyone has gone through this are on these boards. Thanks for any ideas or warnings.

BRIAN

I haven't lost a leg but when I purchased my motoerhome several months ago there was a fellow there who had a prosthetic leg. He also wore a shirt that was a Harley Davidson kind. It was difficult for me to broach the subject to him but I did. I asked him if he rode and he said that he did. I then asked if he lost his leg while riding and he said that he did. He described in detail the accident to me. They tried but could not save his leg. But there he is with his prosthetic-riding. I tipped my hat to the guy for doing what he enjoys doing and having the guts to continue doing it despite what happened to him. I wish I could answer your question as to what restrictions or limitations that he might have but I really don't know.
Hope it turns out well for you!

Thanks for the reply. It will be about 2 months before I get my new foot and hopefully there will be some decent weather for me to try and ride again. If not, my baby will get put back in the barn for another winter Just nice to know that there ARE riders out there that have a prosthetic limb and ride.

THANKS
BRIAN

I rode with a rider, Ray, who had most of his left leg gone using a prosthetic, running a HD shovel.

I would not have know his leg gone as he out-rode me all over the place.

I swore at him once, that I'd take his leg off and Beat him over his head with it for making me look so bad...

Humor Not Lost is (our) Key here. I have not seen/rode with him for many years but I'd bet he is still riding.

Takle a look here as I Googled what you may find of interest.:bigsmiley23:

amputee HD riders - Google Search

Hope this helps.. No Go RIDE :s

:newsmile017:FREEDOM

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for that link Bubbie. Looks like there is hope for this old guy after all. I had already installed the pingle electric shift a few years back. BUT....it wasn't for this reason! And HUMOUR is the key here. That's how I get along in life.When I woke up 2 weeks ago from having them take it off, the Dr was standing there, and the first words out of my mouth were.....if you know of anyone that has a stuffed parrot they want to sell I want it. My Halloween costume will be a pirate. The Dr and nurses just about croaked. Hey....just another obstacle to overcome. So I will keep my fingers crossed that we DO have good riding weather around the end of October!

BRIAN

I am sorry to hear of your loss here, I will tell you this I saw a very clever set up in Sturgis this year for a man with one arm, So I have faith you will over come this and continue to ride, Best of luck on your Quest and I hope you will keep us informed

Hey thanks Jack.....like I said earlier...hopefully end of October going to try....and.....there will be pics.......heh heh heh heh

BRIAN

I've got a Marine buddy who rides sans left leg above the knee. He uses a suicide shifter, and you'd never know it when he's riding. Go for it, don't let it hold you back!

Just the fact your asking the questions about getting back in the saddle says a lot about the passion you have for riding! No question you'll over come this and ride once again. Good luck and let us know about your progress.

Back