free website stats program Lean Running Sporty | Harley Davidson Forums

Lean Running Sporty

propflux01

Hello. My wife's 883 has had a problem since new (totally stock engine-wise) with what seems like a lean condition. When engine is cold, it stutters like mad for quite some time before the choke comes off. Once it warms it runs ok. When I pull the plugs they look to me like they are lean. I have messed with Suzuki bikes for years and have mechanical aptitude, just new to the HD way of doing things. I keep reading about stage one kits and jets kits and whatnot, would something like that help this bike? and what exactly is a stage kit, and what does it consist of? One note, she wanted it to sound less of a sewing machine and more like the big brothers we ride with, so we knocked the baffles out of the stock pipes. Sounds good, but the problem still remains, and wasn't affected by this change.

what year for one .. and knocking the baffles out creates more problems

what else have you done to it .. is it carbed or EFI im guess carbed from what ya say if so some of the hd carb gurus will come buy and help

A stage 1 consist of a free breathing air cleaner, free flowing pipes and tuning. Rine hart make some great sounding slip-on's if you like a loud deep rumble or screamin eagle makes them street legal in sound but good perforamce and they also make a good air cleaner, if you like the stock cover or a more rad one called the heavy breather.
You did not give the year so if it's carb harley has a tuner kit for it with easy to follow instructions and if it's fuel injected you have a choise of a download, a fueler or a tuner. here's a link to the screamin eagle catalog you can look through and if you search there is tons of info on the forum.

2010 screamin’ eagle ® pro racing parts or download from mirror 2010 screamin’ eagle ® pro racing parts

Thank you for the replies. I am sorry I forgot the basics, it's a 2005 Carbed, with no other mods other than the baffles.

Don't forget to put two #4 stainless or brass washers to space up the CV needle slightly, and you will be good to go. See the post below:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/fuel_and_carb_related_issues/764-twin_cam_cv_carb_rejet_suggestions.html

Pretty simple and does the deed with so little drama...one of the reasons why HD w/ CV carb is such a joy...! :D
When i read this I came across this: "This can be done without removing the carb by rotating it slightly for better access to the screws and works best with a stage 1 intake kit. Using the stock air cleaner would cause a rich condition with this proceedure" My intake/Air Cleaner is stock, will this not work?

Nope, stock air cleaner can flow more just by changing the element to K&N one that is free flowing, easily cleaned and lightly oil misted and your good to go, or upgrade to SE one if you want to add more flow and a bit of pizazz....

I would change the whole air cleaner, I have used K&N filters in stock air boxes, while it's a much better filter, breathing was the same, you would benefit from a free breathing set up like the S/E or big sucker air filter.

Back