free website stats program "Lean Angle" Question.. | Harley Davidson Forums

"Lean Angle" Question..

Hoople

Account Removed
As applied to a 2009 Dyna Low, what exactly do the HD specified lean angles (30.5 degrees and 31 degrees) mean. I was told that is the point where your factory pegs (or some other part) will touch the ground. Just eye balling the factory stock bike, it seems the lean angle would/could be much greater than 31 degrees. Am I understanding maximum "Lean Angles" incorrectly?

Thanks!

Yep, that's what I was told also. Makes sense, but just looking at the bike using a few string measurements it "looks" like you could push it much harder than that..
Was just wondering... Tks!

Hobbit, That's exactly what I was thinking. Only thing is the 2009 Dyna has that "safety feature" which kills the ignition when the bike is at a 45 degree angle so the spec must be 31 degrees from vertical. I don't like that safety feature and I know of no way to turn it off.
And I agree, 31 degrees does not seem like much.

Now you see why I asked the question. The numbers really don't seem to add up.

Hobbit, That's exactly what I was thinking. Only thing is the 2009 Dyna has that "safety feature" which kills the ignition when the bike is at a 45 degree angle so the spec must be 31 degrees from vertical. I don't like that safety feature and I know of no way to turn it off.
And I agree, 31 degrees does not seem like much.

Now you see why I asked the question. The numbers really don't seem to add up.

Tell me this aint so! Being in a hard lean is the worst possible time to have the ignition cut off and lose power I would think :52:

I consider the Lean Limit like the Speed Limit. The vehicle may be capable of much more but it may not be as safe. ?

I miss read the service manual regarding the 45 degrees of "tip over degrees". The 45 degrees applies to a test performed on the accelerometer and not the numbers of degrees required for a fault code. Sorry about that. (Dyna Electrical Diagnostic Manual 99496-00)

It is clear to me that Hobbit is pushing way past the 31 degrees.

But you have to admit one thing. If the quoted spec (lean angle of 31 & 30.5) is a "reasonable safety limit" why is one side 31 degrees and the other 30.5 ? If it's a safety thing, why would HD split hairs on .5 degree? An exact spec like it is leads me to believe it is a mechanical maximum,,, but then at the same time we know it is not.
Puzzles like this drive me crazy.

I believe the difference in lean angle is due to the pipes on right side. When I had my stock turnouts on the Dyna the bottom one got rashed. Now I have Bub Bad Dogs that are shorter, but have still hit. As for the video in the above post, I think the footpegs he put on were longer than stock and grind quicker (but he did do a good grind on them anyhow) I have Kuryakyn Iso pegs on my Dyna, and they grind easily because they're longer than stock. I have only ground my stock pegs a few times.

Attachments

• footpeg2.jpg
    footpeg2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 22
Back