free website stats program Leaky oil filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Leaky oil filter

Tadaaa

Are the HD oil filters prone to leak around the gasket? The original filter was on really (I think over)tight. I oiled up the new one and tightened it up about half a turn past tight by hand. It was leaking so I used the wrench and gave it another quarter of a turn. Now there is a little film of oil on the filter but not enough to drip. Is this about normal?

I haven't had any problems with HD filters leaking. I don't do anything special when putting the filter on. A little oil on the gasket, hand tighten to snug contact and then about another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Did the filter mount's surface look smooth, no dings or significant scratches?

Remove the oil filter and check the mating surface with your finger for any foriegn debris on both surfaces.

no its no normal .. the one from the factory is usually uber tight .. I normal tighten my about 1/4 th turn

The surface on the motor was fine, I cleaned it with my finger. Oiled the oring, put a little oil in the filter and snugged it up. I think it's fine but I was surprised that I needed to use a wrench to get it tight enough not to leak. I've never had to use one on a car or truck before. Thanks for the input.

Back