free website stats program Leaky Gaskets On 85' FXRS Rocker Box Covers | Harley Davidson Forums

Leaky Gaskets On 85' FXRS Rocker Box Covers

Wacka52

Is there any easier way to replace the rocker box covers on a 1985 FXRS stock engine besides pulling the engine out?

I have had no trouble removing rocker boxes with the engine in the frame on my softail dyna and sportster although the rear one is a wee bit tight and some minor modification to tools was required to get to the fasteners

Brian

Welcome to The Forum, have you tried lowering the motor by removing the motor mount?

I remember that the FXR's were difficult to remove the rear rocker bolt and cover. Like Jack mentioned, I seem to remember removing the front motor mount rubber to drop the engine a bit, and disconnecting the stabilizer link so the engine could be pushed slightly sideways was the method. I'll dig around and see if I saved one of the articles.

I wasn't able to find the old articles, but googling, "replace fxr rocker box" will get several hits about the procedures.

When I did the rocker boxes on the FXRS I took the scissor jack out of my wifes van and slid it under the motor and jacked it up so there was just a bit of pressure on it.Then I undid the motor mounts and lowered the motor with the scissor jack.Made it easy to remove the boxes.When I had the covers off I checked them with a straight edge and lightly filed the warpage out of them before I put them back on with new gaskets.
Hope this helps.

Be sure to warm that Evo up before riding, this is the most common reason rocker boxes leak:s

Back