free website stats program leaking oil at stator wire. | Harley Davidson Forums

leaking oil at stator wire.

arthurn

I have an 08 road king. 2 yrs later and 25,000 miles later I have developed an oil leak where the stator wire exits the crankcase. I have done some research so I know sometimes it's because oil is leaking past the crank shaft oil seal and filling the primary. The oil in my primary is at the bottom of the clutch hub. I tried filling in the gap between the rubber gasket/plug with rtv silicone and this slowed the leak from a drop a day to just an oil sweat. I am thinking that the next step is to pull the chain case, replace the stator, but I am also thinking, that I should change the compensating sprocket shaft oil seal as well. I can read a book, and can work with my hands but this is all new to me. I have the manual and on my sportster I changed my cylinder gaskets because of an oil leak and did ok. My question is, #1 Do you think I should change the oil seal on the crank shaft, and if so how do you pull it with the engine still in the bike? The manual shows how to pull it with the cases split. Any info/help will be appreciated.

We have this problem all the time here in Oz.The MOCO silicone sealant breaks down around the stator plug over time,we simply apply Threebond to the plug when it is removed after cleaning the case & the plug with a good quality solvent this seems to cure the problem.I personally would not replace the crankseal.:D

I have an 08 road king. 2 yrs later and 25,000 miles later I have developed an oil leak where the stator wire exits the crankcase. I have done some research so I know sometimes it's because oil is leaking past the crank shaft oil seal and filling the primary. The oil in my primary is at the bottom of the clutch hub. I tried filling in the gap between the rubber gasket/plug with rtv silicone and this slowed the leak from a drop a day to just an oil sweat. I am thinking that the next step is to pull the chain case, replace the stator, but I am also thinking, that I should change the compensating sprocket shaft oil seal as well. I can read a book, and can work with my hands but this is all new to me. I have the manual and on my sportster I changed my cylinder gaskets because of an oil leak and did ok. My question is, #1 Do you think I should change the oil seal on the crank shaft, and if so how do you pull it with the engine still in the bike? The manual shows how to pull it with the cases split. Any info/help will be appreciated.

I just cleaned the area (really good) with brake cleaner and the put a bead of black silicone around it then worked it in good with a spit covered finger (to smooth), no more leak on my 02 wideglide with 98k-----jack

Last edited:
I've seen a couple of police bikes get leaks there, what happen was they heated up the clutch in trainning and the primary got so hot it melted the rubber fins that seal the plug, if you can get by with a silicone band aid, thats great but if nothing works I would pull the primary cover and stator and check the plug for damage, if the plugs bad and you want to fix it once & for all it will take a new stator, for all the work to get to it, it would be worth wild to just replace it rather then having to keep putting silicone on it. Good luck, hope it's a easy fix.

Back