free website stats program leaking gas tank | Harley Davidson Forums

leaking gas tank

chipguy1

I have 2005 ultra classic efi. When I fill the tank up it leaks over the side. I thought it was a blocked overfill hose, but it isn't. I found that the cork gasket under the tank console was split, and was letting gas out. I now have a new cork gasket ready to install, but I wonder if I am supposed to use some sort of sealant along with the cork gasket. Is the cork gasket alone o.k.?
Thanks for replies
Tom

I have 2005 ultra classic efi. When I fill the tank up it leaks over the side. I thought it was a blocked overfill hose, but it isn't. I found that the cork gasket under the tank console was split, and was letting gas out. I now have a new cork gasket ready to install, but I wonder if I am supposed to use some sort of sealant along with the cork gasket. Is the cork gasket alone o.k.?
Thanks for replies
Tom

When you change the gasket replace the hardware with new screws and washers, no sealant is required

As Jack said : "Replace screws etc" If you don't there is a good chance it will leak and a fuel leak is never a good leak ! I replaced my fuel sending unit and tried to reuse my screws. Not a good plan. New screws were cheap and never had another issue. The screws have a sealant on them. One time use.

Back