free website stats program Leaking Fuel Shutoff | Harley Davidson Forums

Leaking Fuel Shutoff

harleymanmn

When I turn on the fuel valve, I get fuel dripping from bottom of valve body and it does not appear to be at fuel line connection. The fuel quits leaking when I shut off the valve. What could be the cause?

You may have a bad o-ring or gasket in the petcock allowing fuel to escape in that position. If thats the case time for a rebuild of the petcock.

Welcome to the forum. I've never rebuilt a petcock but I know replacing them is fairly easy. Whether you rebuild or simply replace I would strongly suggest getting a factory manual before you do. The manual will explain very clearly how to remove and install the petcock properly.

Rebuild or replacement is the way to go if you have fuel leaking.

Being the bike is a 99, there's probably wear on the internal parts.

If this is a stock vacuum operated petcock, you may want to consider an up grade to a Pingel, seems to me there were no parts available for rebuilding those pesty petcocks

If this is a stock vacuum operated petcock, you may want to consider an up grade to a Pingel, seems to me there were no parts available for rebuilding those pesty petcocks

I second Captain Jacks recommendation for a Pingel. If you have a vacuum operated one now, eliminate that and plug the vacuum line at the manifold. Then just get in the habit of turning off the petcock when you shut down the engine.

Power-Flo™ Fuel Valves

TQ

Although a bit pricey, I would opt for the Pingle valve also, BUT with the vacuum actuated valve. I like the idea of not inducing additonal wear on the internal seals by constant rotation/use...and quite honestly, I use my bike as my daily driver, and wore out the fuel petcocks on several of my sportbikes over the years...once the fuel gets on the fancy body work it was adios to manual only ones. JMHO.:newsmile036:

Back