free website stats program Leaking EVO Rocker boxes | Harley Davidson Forums

Leaking EVO Rocker boxes

BOBFLHTC

I did the Top End on my EVO in the fall but the Rocker boxes are leaking even though I tried to be careful. I saw that JPCycles is selling a set of after market 2 piece Rocker Boxes for $175 so I am going to swap them out. It looks like a good deal and anyone with a EVO knows how frustrating this can be. Best of luck - Bob

Milwaukee Twins Rocker Box Set | 991-087 | JP Cycles

If you tightend them evenly and corectly, and they are leaking, you damaged the little rubber gasket(s) I'd bet.

The torquing is critical as well as warming up the motor before riding, only down fall of the factory rocker boxes Good Luck:s

I tried to be real careful torqeing them. The middle cover shifted before they were at spec. The oil isn't pouring out but they leak. Maybe they are warped. At any rate it seemed like a good price and since I have to take it apart anyway I'm hoping it will put the whole problem to rest. I'll post an update once I get them on - Bob

I'm no expert but after just putting mine back together my bet would be the gaskets, you probably need to replace them and start over, which would be cheaper than the rocker boxes

Personally I do not believe in changing what is likely perfectly good hardware, unless there was actually something wrong with them or if you want because it is adding BLING. Gaskets are a lot cheaper and properly torqued with thread sealer for the fasteners should be sufficient, save the money for something YOU need or want on your terms, not shotgunning a perceived problem, you will be happier. JMO...:s

I had done some work to my evo as well and thought i was careful putting back together but I had a leak. Took apart again and found I had pinched the gasket. 2nd time I made sure I didn't do that again.

Bob, if this is indeed an 85 Evo, and you have had the rocker boxes off a couple of times now, first, I would check them for true on a piece of glass first if they do not rock you should be good with a quality gasket set like http://www.jamesgaskets.com/ if you want to replace the boxes for a better quality rocker box the ones in your first post are good, the TP are better but more expensive, but NEWHD is #1 if you can repair it with new gaskets you have more money for BLING, be sure to follow the manual for proper removal and retorquing of the boxes, and good luck

you will have more issues with the $175 rocker boxes then your oems ones cheep repop parts will always get you in trouble , as others said start over with new gaskets, I prefer to use a product called THE RITE STUFF instead of gaskets as long as clearences are not involved, the rite stuff is a permatex product avalible at NAPA auto parts ,most auto makers use this product or stand behind it ,check it out . I have used this stuff for years first when I had hard time finding correct gaskets then as time went on I use it and hang the gaskets on my garage wall.Im 100% satisfied with this product .

Back