free website stats program LCD Dipstick | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

LCD Dipstick

I was thinking to put LCD dipstick to my bike... thank you for very informative thread. I'll stick old style instead.

I just bought one two weeks ago. Go figure, we are heading into winter (I am in Canada) and 90 days will be long over by the time I roll the bike out in the spring. I am a gadgit guy too. I hope it still works then. Maybe I will put the stock one in during the winter. I can quote the last post though:

I quess I should have looked on here before I purchased mine. Oh well I have wasted more money on other thinks.

Live and learn, live and learn.

It really does look neat. (thats what I can tell myself when it quits)

The one and only thing I got a super deal on from a Harley dealer was my analog guage dipstick. I was at a dealer in Sharon PA Thunder I believe is the name and on their "bargain" table which mostly had stickers and funky doo rags there was a late model sportster dipstick with no packaging and no price. Somebody returned it or something, and they had no package. I paid $15 for it. When I looked up the price I think they were like $40 or so.

But like smitty said all they really do is tell you the obvious: your oil is hot.

The downside is I can't see it through my fat leg when I'm on the bike, so what good is it really gonna do me? I think it looks cool so that's good enough for me.

I was thinking about buying an LCD dipstick for my fat boy. Provide temp read out and oil level. Seems like a neat idea, but was wondering if they realy work or just an expensive gadget that just looks good

Get the analog guage type, (old school but matches HD marque) about $40. Had a problem with the pop-up stock one always popping up at the wrong time and getting oil all over my riding gear. Oil temperature on my Sporty always is 160 to 180F and only hit 200F when 100F in stop & go traffic. :newsmile105:

Looks, fits & works great, and best of all does not go dark or fog when hot or humid conditions occur (which is "like" always...). :s

No, it is not back lit, but then I do not worry about overheated oil at night when I do maintenance by the book and the ever present HDT guys here! :D

Last edited:
I had one on my Road King and it worked fine for about 2 years, still on it after I traded. I had heard of people stealing them so I carried my OEM one in the bag, just in case.
Anything that will make reading the level easier is ok in my book. especially after changing the fluid.

I have had mine for about six months and have not had an issue but I sprayed it with a clear coat before using it. HD has never been very good at sealing for moisture (my speedo fogs up every time it rains)

Back