free website stats program LCD dipstick | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

LCD dipstick

You got a part number and point of contact?

Thanks

I've owned the LED oil dipstick over three years, since they 1st came out.
I like 'em.

Push the button and it gives oil level and temp. I don't have to risk getting my hands burnt while checking oil level.
Just push the button it shows. It will also tell you if you have overfilled or need oil.

I have the Marlin's oil/head temp gauge in my fairing, replacing the "not so handy" air temp gauge.

Helpful on my run across the desert in July. The Marlin's gauge was handier than the LED dipstick because I could see what the oil temp was by simply looking at the dash.
The LED dipstick can only be read when stopped and off the bike.

Using both was a plus.

I had my oil changed before leaving CA and the LED dipstick told me I had an overfill. I used my turkey baster to drain enough to get back into the OK region.
Handy in that respect.
I think the shop forgot the oil bottles are Liter, not Quart! Liter bottles have more oil in them.

It is expensive ($150) but worth it. I do carry the stock dipstick, just in case someone would steal mine!

Ah, I found it. $164....Wow. It does look good.

514L3vHkJWL._SS500_.jpg

Here is the other fairing mounted kind. Marlin Temp gauge.

head%20temp%20gauges.jpg

I've owned the LED oil dipstick over three years, since they 1st came out.
I like 'em.

Push the button and it gives oil level and temp. I don't have to risk getting my hands burnt while checking oil level.
Just push the button it shows. It will also tell you if you have overfilled or need oil.

I have the Marlin's oil/head temp gauge in my fairing, replacing the "not so handy" air temp gauge.

Helpful on my run across the desert in July. The Marlin's gauge was handier than the LED dipstick because I could see what the oil temp was by simply looking at the dash.
The LED dipstick can only be read when stopped and off the bike.

Using both was a plus.

I had my oil changed before leaving CA and the LED dipstick told me I had an overfill. I used my turkey baster to drain enough to get back into the OK region.
Handy in that respect.
I think the shop forgot the oil bottles are Liter, not Quart! Liter bottles have more oil in them.

It is expensive ($150) but worth it. I do carry the stock dipstick, just in case someone would steal mine!

You got a part number and point of contact?

Thanks

Mongo...
Yup, you found the correct pictures.

I like the LED dipstick because I can check oil level in a couple of seconds.

The Marlin's oil/head temp setup is sweet because it was comforting to know the oil/head temps were running when I was going across the desert in 115 degree days in July and the bike is going down the highway.

Bike was doing fine, even with an temp increase in the desert and mountains, but with hundreds of other bikes doing the same ride, nobody had a problem.
Only difference was I knew what the temps were.
As long as they stayed in the same range, I didn't worry.

If mounting the Marlin's head temp sensor, I recommend placing it at the rear of the rear cylinder.
The easy spot is up front, lots of clearance, but it gets so much air there that it was hard to get the needle to move.

I would get the Marlin "IF" it kept the Air temp as well.
I'm always looking at it wondering how hot or cold it is. I ride all year round.
I like the LED Dip Stick because of the dual purpose level/Temp.
I've read of it not being very reliable. That is a little scary at such a high price. I wil end up getting one of them. Logic tells me it will be the
Marlin.
Mongo...
Yup, you found the correct pictures.

I like the LED dipstick because I can check oil level in a couple of seconds.

The Marlin's oil/head temp setup is sweet because it was comforting to know the oil/head temps were running when I was going across the desert in 115 degree days in July and the bike is going down the highway.

Bike was doing fine, even with an temp increase in the desert and mountains, but with hundreds of other bikes doing the same ride, nobody had a problem.
Only difference was I knew what the temps were.
As long as they stayed in the same range, I didn't worry.

If mounting the Marlin's head temp sensor, I recommend placing it at the rear of the rear cylinder.
The easy spot is up front, lots of clearance, but it gets so much air there that it was hard to get the needle to move.

When I bought my Ultra two years ago it had one of the LED dipsticks. I found it to be quite handy. I could tell what my oil temperature was doing as well as check the oil level without having to remove the dipstick.

Just recently I had a problem with the dipstick getting stuck and unable to be removed. It was one of the original design (the one with the smooth round top). I ended up having to take the bike to the dealer to get the oil changed because of that. It ended up coming apart while trying to remove it. The service manager told me that the original design was prone to coming aprt like this after some time and the new design addressed this issue.

Other than the problem with it getting stuck I have been pleased with the LED dipstick.

Will NEVER buy another item of electronic anything made by Harley period. Got burned by their fine digital gas gauge twice. The Stealership told me after the fact the that they were junk, of course wouldn't refund my money...

I'm pretty much of thinking, if I can possibly not give Harley another cent, I'm good with that.:small3d031::bigsmiley18::bigsmiley18: Hey, thanks for letting me rant! :small3d031:

Will NEVER buy another item of electronic anything made by Harley period. Got burned by their fine digital gas gauge twice. The Stealership told me after the fact the that they were junk, of course wouldn't refund my money...

I'm pretty much of thinking, if I can possibly not give Harley another cent, I'm good with that.:small3d031::bigsmiley18::bigsmiley18: Hey, thanks for letting me rant! :small3d031:

Do you feel better now? U know U could always try those Jap bikes or the Brits bikes. I here there stealers never burn U.

LOL

Do you feel better now? U know U could always try those Jap bikes or the Brits bikes. I here there stealers never burn U.

LOL

Well, to be honest, the gas gauge I bought from the dealer was made in China, just re-badged with HD. I guess you enjoy paying top dollar for a product only to have it fail, twice, and then be told by the same parts guy I bought it from, "yeah, we have lots of problems with those." I actually do own a "Jap" and a German bike as well. Love my Harley, but am not so brain-washed that I believe everything bearing the HD seal is somehow better or immune to any expectation of functionality. LOL

I purchased a Yamaha Scooter for my wife....It was made in China.
I was looking at the sticker on a SONY camera the other day...Made in China.
Seems like every one is doing it.

Back