free website stats program lazy starter | Harley Davidson Forums

lazy starter

jimibbo

I have a 96 springer softail my starter has been "slipping?" I pulled the starter and cleaned it and greased it good and the same for jack shaft put it back together but left primary cover off to see , the jackshaft engages and the starter spins (you can hear it ) but is lazy to turn the bike over ! any ideas ?

thanks for the reply
is this repairable ? I am novice mechanic at best ! can i just rebuild the starter or do i need to bite the bullet ?

That depends on your situation. I new starter would around $325.00 and up and have a warranty while a rebuild would be maybe half that if you did it yourself. Replacing, although more expensive, would definitely be easier than rebuilding it IMO. Being its a 96 model I would consider that a good life out of a starter and would opt for the new unit.

Motor Factory High Torque Starter | 383-734 | JP Cycles

thanks for the reply
is this repairable ? I am novice mechanic at best ! can i just rebuild the starter or do i need to bite the bullet ?

Yes it's repairable at less money than changing a starter. This is the part you need.

Starterdrive2.jpg

thankyou all for the help and advice

yippee skippee motorcycle back on the road !
have had it apart together and back apart again again again n again
cleaned greased starter had starter rebuilt finally read online forum to plainly stretch the spring on the jackshaft 1/4 inch so I drained the primary again removed it pulled the jackshaft stretched the spring replaced and just snugged the bolt (7 ft lbs) it has been working better than ever all day ! my next step would have been to replace the starter drive ! anyway I'm(EDITED) today!
:tounge

Please read and understand the info in this link below...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back