free website stats program lawn mower engine oil | Harley Davidson Forums

lawn mower engine oil

00BUCKSHOT

my yard is ohhhh say 11/16 of an acre i cut it with a push mower.now the mower i have is 2years old and has a briggs engine on it.i know it has no oil pump just has a dipper to sling oil.briggs thought it to be a great idea not to install a drain plug on there new push mower engines.so to change my oil i have to run the engine out of gas,remove the oil fill cap turn the mower up side down to drain the oil.....i'm not joking folks it shows this in my service manual!lol now this little engine gets allot of hours logged on it each year because i beleave in putting nitrogen on my yard 2 times a year lol.so i change the oil 2 times a year and everytime i do it i get mad lol
i'm wondering if i could start useing mobil1 0W 30 and just change it 1 time a year but i'm concerned about the motor not geting oil in the right places because of no oil pump and the syn being to slick for the oil dipper to sling it to all the right places......need some opions from all the engine builders please

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
If you go to Mobil 1 20-50 if you can find it or 15-50 .. 10 is to light weight for a air cooled slinger engine

the mobile one vtwin would work just fine

Tip the mower up and look under the cutting deck in the bottom of the engine. I never saw a small engine that didn't have a plug under there to drain the oil. Some are a hex head and others are a 3/8" plug that you use an extension on a ratchet to remove.

Tip the mower up and look under the cutting deck in the bottom of the engine. I never saw a small engine that didn't have a plug under there to drain the oil. Some are a hex head and others are a 3/8" plug that you use an extension on a ratchet to remove.

Ive seen a few with a plug but you couldnt get to it because of self drive .. and other i have seen with no plug .. I tip mine on side to drain it anyways just easier :)

That is exactly how my Sears mower with a 7 HP Briggs engine is set up. There is a small plug located under the engine that takes a 3/8" drive extension to remove it.

either mine has no oil plug or its covered up by the self drive(very possible i never thought of that)now i know switching to syn in my bike reduces operating temps so it reduce operating temps on my mower too right?

yes to a point no as good as the bike as you wont be doing 50-70 mph witht he mower i would think

yes to a point no as good as the bike as you wont be doing 50-70 mph witht he mower i would think

Speak for yourself Bud! :D

98P-RedneckLawnmower.jpg

Back